The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wash wipe and lighting stalk, which side?

Jiversteve

I have a 1994 MkIV J spec and I have just bought a UK 2003 MR2.

The wash wipe and lighting stalks are on different sides.

I can usually cope quite happily but every so often I wash my windscreen when I want to flash someone. or do the opposite. It does not seem to have the same effect.

Reading the forum, all MkIV have the lighting stalk on the right, just like my Supra. But I have a full Toyota manual and all the diagrams show the lighting stalk on the left.

So I am a little confused.

Externally the stalk clusters of the Supra and MR2 look alike but not identical as the MR2has no rear wash/wipe.

My question is, are switches as shown in my manual actually available with lights on the left and washers on the right despite what I have read on here.

Im sure my Civic had the indicators on the right.... Saying that Ive driven imported cars for so long I could be wrong

Every UK car I have ever owned or driven has had the indicators on the left. Anytime I get into a car where the indicators are on the right I instantly know it's an import :)

Wierd aint it. Makes more sense to have it on the right IMO.

Seems there are some exceptions though if UK Supras don't have them on the other side :)

Every UK car I have ever owned or driven has had the indicators on the left. Anytime I get into a car where the indicators are on the right I instantly know it's an import :)

Just to confirm UK supra stalks are as follows;

Left: Wash/Wipe and indicators

Right:Lights

Just to confirm UK supra stalks are as follows;

Left: Wash/Wipe and indicators

Right:Lights

Left is the indicators and wash??? :blink:

Never seen stalks like that in my puff.

Edit: How do you turn right (push up) so how do you turn on the wipers?? Push down? what about left?

I thought I was right, cars from the Orient have indicators on the right, cars from Europe have them on the left. Makes no financial sense why Toyota would swap the stalks for export models

The Supra is one of the very few exceptions that prove the rule. Even Japanese makes have the indicators on the left (Toyota, Nissan, etc). It may be based on the numbers they are selling.

Most UK cars have the indicators on the left, regardless of where the manufacturer originates from.

British cars (remember them?) used to have the indicators on the right too until the early 1980's when either EU meddling or laziness (read cost cutting) on the part of Ford and Vauxhall meant that over a few years they all were fitted on the left in Europe and the US.

JDM cars still have them on the right.

Left is the indicators and wash??? :blink:

Never seen stalks like that in my puff.

Edit: How do you turn right (push up) so how do you turn on the wipers?? Push down? what about left?

God what was I drinking last night lol indicators are on the right :twak: