The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A worrying rattle started to get louder when on 800 revs

Supralad

The otherday i drove for around 45mins with no problems in the car (obviously unaware if there was a rattle due to the noise) but when i pulled up to fill her up, the car dropped to its usual 800/1000 revs and there was a really loud rattle coming from the bonnet right in front of the driver.

Any ideas? Cambelt? Clutch?

It doesnt happen if i rev to 1200, only when idle.

But i just started her up moments ago and there was no rattle... still want to find out what it was to solve it before it becomes a major problems.

Thoughts appriciated guys! Cheers

I have exactly the same thing. I'm going to have a look tomorrow. Unfortunately, as soon as I get out of the car to check, it stops. It's pretty loud and only happens when idle.

I'm just going to check around for any loose parts. I recently had the crank pulley, cambelt and tensioner changed and made no difference.

I have exactly the same thing. I'm going to have a look tomorrow. Unfortunately, as soon as I get out of the car to check, it stops. It's pretty loud and only happens when idle.

I'm just going to check around for any loose parts. I recently had the crank pulley, cambelt and tensioner changed and made no difference.

i think it cud be just a rattle on a loose part underneath the car

If you think it was underneath the car, check the bracket that supports the Exhaust, it's located between the 1st and 2nd Cat flange and secures too the Engine and Gearbox meeting point.

Get under the car and give the exhaust a good strong wiggle at this point, I had this exact problem, took me months to find it because it wasn't visable with the naked eye, as the break was between the 2 Cat flanges

Other than that as already mentioned while you are under there, check the heat sheilds arount the Cats, very common problem

Im 99% sure its a rattle, had a look under the car and you can see someone moving slightly once the car is warmed up which i assume is causing the noice.

Also when i bought the car they said to keep any eye on the exhaust as it comes loose.

Will update when im certain, but atleast it aint as bad as i first thought/

Im 99% sure its a rattle, had a look under the car and you can see someone moving slightly once the car is warmed up which i assume is causing the noice.

Also when i bought the car they said to keep any eye on the exhaust as it comes loose.

Will update when im certain, but atleast it aint as bad as i first thought/

Only happens when it's warmed up right? It only happens for me when it's warmed up and I've taken it for a drive. I might have to get someone to quickly look underneath when I pull up somewhere. Everything on my car is pretty darn tight, so I can't see what could be causing the noise.

It sound like it is coming from the front-end, yes. I am pretty sure we do have the same rattle (if it's not exactly the same it might at least be in the same place with a similar part) and it's starting to hack me off a bit. I'd like it if we can both work this one out.

My heat shields seem very tight in their position, but is it possible that could come loose when heated (as they would expand I'd assume)?

Im guessing you will have to take it for a spin so you get the rattle, otherwise u will never find it?

Let me know how u get on

That's right. By the time I exit the car to find out, the rattle disappears. So I need someone to quickly look underneath to find any unusual movements. If I take it to a garage, they will think I'm stupid as they always do because these things never happen when on their grounds. So to save some embarassment, I'm going to find the damn thing myself.

That's right. By the time I exit the car to find out, the rattle disappears. So I need someone to quickly look underneath to find any unusual movements. If I take it to a garage, they will think I'm stupid as they always do because these things never happen when on their grounds. So to save some embarassment, I'm going to find the damn thing myself.

Really? Mine stays for ages.

Also If its coming from where i think it is, then its a braket that has been put on as extra support, so yea you can take it off or screw tighter.