The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Great Body Shop in Sheffield

AWOL

I've often read that many members find it really hard to find a good body shop, especially up North so thought it would be a good idea to plug the body shop I used a couple of weeks ago as my experience was excellent.

I had the usual stone chips on the bonnet and odd one on the front bumper as well as a nasty mark, as if a bird had landed an acid bomb on the passenger front wing.

John advised me, in order to do it right and ensure colour matching that he re spray both wings, bonnet and front bumper.

He was able to find and match my official Toyota Teale Blue Pearl and we agreed a fee of £600 + VAT.

Hopefully the pics will show how good the colour match.

Can only say that I was very pleased with the results, thought the price was more than reasonable and the service from John was excellent.

Pleasing thing was, when I went to pick it up John had also removed a slight dent that was on the bonnet and the price we agreed never changed.

So anyone still looking give John a call. Details below.

http://www.car-body-work-repairs.co.uk/

Mods - feel free to move to an appropriate area if this isn't right.

Supra mark.jpg

Suprachips.jpg

Supra.jpg

Supra 1.jpg

Supra 9.jpg

Not really, a good full respray is circa £2.5k, so £600 for approx 1/3 of the car seems pretty good.

Depends where you shop I guess. A good full respray costs whatever a good resprayer wants to charge. I've seen 2.5k resprays that wouldn't hold a candle to my 1.2k respray. Obviously that place wasn't a "good" resprayer.

I had similar work done to my MR2 and it cost me £250. Both front wings, full bumper, blend into bonnet and full rear quarter.

Looks great, very expensive though IMO.

It maybe Scott, I really don't know. Seen many people post horror stories on this forum of bad paint jobs so at what price is a good one?

Only time will tell with mine I guess...if it doesn't flake off within 6 months like some have, I'll view it as money well spent. Good think is the bodyshop is local so it's not far to go back to complain if it does.

Btw, just checked your baby out...great looking car, credit to you and fantastic web site...those dash lights are awesome!!

It maybe Scott, I really don't know. Seen many people post horror stories on this forum of bad paint jobs so at what price is a good one?

Only time will tell with mine I guess...if it doesn't flake off within 6 months like some have, I'll view it as money well spent. Good think is the bodyshop is local so it's not far to go back to complain if it does.

Btw, just checked your baby out...great looking car, credit to you and fantastic web site...those dash lights are awesome!!

You just have to hope that people are honest in their opinions of a place really. It's good to know if there is a local place that does good work, I guess I'm lucky in that sense. I'm sure everything with your car will be fine, you have certainly paid for top notch work so it is good that your local should the worst happen.

You can't buy quality unfortunately. People always throw around prices of what a "good" respray will cost but in actual fact it is down to the aptitude and dedication of the sprayer, not how much they charge per hour. The guy I know is proper old school, he works with an apprentice out of a unit near where I live. Likes the odd jobs, hates the re-sprays lol. I guess that is because he doesn't charge over the top when he is doing them so there isn't as much profit in it for him. I'll let you into a not so secret secret though, we agreed to a price before the work and he said if he was doing the job again he would be charging twice as much. He blended in all the bodywork, said it was a mammoth task and he was glad to see the back of it. :D

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

You just have to hope that people are honest in their opinions of a place really. It's good to know if there is a local place that does good work, I guess I'm lucky in that sense. I'm sure everything with your car will be fine, you have certainly paid for top notch work so it is good that your local should the worst happen.

You can't buy quality unfortunately. People always throw around prices of what a "good" respray will cost but in actual fact it is down to the aptitude and dedication of the sprayer, not how much they charge per hour. The guy I know is proper old school, he works with an apprentice out of a unit near where I live. Likes the odd jobs, hates the re-sprays lol. I guess that is because he doesn't charge over the top when he is doing them so there isn't as much profit in it for him. I'll let you into a not so secret secret though, we agreed to a price before the work and he said if he was doing the job again he would be charging twice as much. He blended in all the bodywork, said it was a mammoth task and he as glad to see the back of it. :D

LMAO...good job you didnt post your secret secret on, er a public forum or anything Scott! ;)

You can't buy quality unfortunately. People always throw around prices of what a "good" respray will cost but in actual fact it is down to the aptitude and dedication of the sprayer, not how much they charge per hour. The guy I know is proper old school, he works with an apprentice out of a unit near where I live. Likes the odd jobs, hates the re-sprays lol. I guess that is because he doesn't charge over the top when he is doing them so there isn't as much profit in it for him. I'll let you into a not so secret secret though, we agreed to a price before the work and he said if he was doing the job again he would be charging twice as much. He blended in all the bodywork, said it was a mammoth task and he as glad to see the back of it. :D

:thumbs:

Unfortunately, you're far more likely to find an expensive place that does a crap job, than a cheap place that does a great one :)

:thumbs:

Unfortunately, you're far more likely to find an expensive place that does a crap job, than a cheap place that does a great one :)

Yeah, the way of the world unfortunately. Read a few unfortunate stories on this very forum too.

Good bodyshops really are hard to find.

LMAO...good job you didnt post your secret secret on, er a public forum or anything Scott! ;)

It wasn't really a secret, I just don't think I had mentioned it on here before :D

Saying your re-spray only cost you £1200 is more impressive than saying it would have cost £2500 if the guy had known the size of the job he was taking on lol.

Place I went to near work charge me £100 a panel for front bumper, passenger wing and side skirt. Including a bit of fg repair. And did a great job. And I can drop the car off and walk to work so will use them again :). I did get a quote of 600 from a very well respected place in Northampton but there was a wait and I couldn't have told the difference.