The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My JZA80 coming back to life project

skippyboyo1

Right then this is a first for me documenting anything ive done with a car so here goes

i better just say how i ended up with the supra as it is relivant so ill keep it short and sweet to avoid boring anyone.

Ive owned many many cars but before this one i had a mk3 vauxhall astra sport which over 3 years and thousands of pounds became a show car which was mag featured twice and i very much enjoyed it untill i started my mission for more power.......i decided to remove the standard 1.6 16v and replace this with a c20let or a caibra 2.0 16v turbo which you will know it as and it was fantastic WHEN IT RAN!!! as i always say.the reliability just wasnt there id have 5 weeks of nothing going wrong and then 23 weeks of garage time and an empty bank account just for fun,basicly i drive cars hard and this car was ment to look good and wasnt built for performance,although i dont regret putting the engine in i shouldnt have (incase anyone is interested, if it wasnt the gear box blowing it was the engine or an electrical problem) the final straw was as ive just mentioned an electrical fault so i got mardy on and threw the towel in but then i was left not knowing what my next car would be.................. (pics of the astra attached)

Its 100% worth mentioning that at this time my mate (mark) worked for toyota and still does as it happends and i remember him saying at the time,i quote "mate you wana get ya sen a manual supra none turbo! service it right and just nail it the s##t out of it they never go wrong" and as they say the rest is history as that is exactly what i did....and do!!

i purchached a 1993 supra none turbo 5 speed with around 55,000 miles on the clock totaly stock with 18" alasio wheels fitted and ive now owned my car for the last 6 years.over this time ive fitted a straight through exhaust inc manifold and its been the most reliable car ive ever had and until it blows i wouldnt swop it for anything,this has to be the best car ive owned just down to pure reliability.ive done so many trackdays and apart from smashing 3 difs in total now (think ive sorted this keep reading) it just hammers on.its just a toy for me and i basicly just do trackdays but i always keep it mot' and taxed if i can.

saying that.........i last drove it on the 11th june 2009 at cadwell park but i smashed the diff and due to other comitments (hayabusa followed by a gsxr1000) i parked it up when i got home and didnt touch it until this week..................................

ive decided to get it sorted so already its had disks and pads all round with a dot 5 brake fluid change,a brake service inc new seals all round,all belts,new air filter,full service inc coolant change,battery and a supra turbo diff fitted (stronger than the standard na diff and it hasnt affected the gearing as some people thought it would) and a bloody good clean (1 t-cut and 4 coats of polish :D) ive got plans to get it looking a little different and more track focused without loosing its comfort so stay tuned and ill keep updating

im "on it" as my pals would say! so............this next month is interior time,ive changed the standard roof lining and sun visors from the grey to black,dyed the carpet got some new bits for inside and decided to pull the whole dash out and get it flocked along with all interior pannels.

pics to follow.............................

car1.jpg

car2pdf.jpg

car3.jpg

dash still in.jpg

srtip2.jpg

strip1.jpg

strip7.jpg

strip8.jpg

strip9.jpg

SDC11276.jpg

SDC11277.jpg

SDC11278.jpg

SDC11279.jpg

SDC11280.jpg

Edited by skippyboyo1 (see edit history)

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So as you can see ive attached some pics of the car as it is now... the 18" alasio alloys are what came on the car so i decided to keep them however there going ill document that when it happends,the same goes for the suspention.......at the moment this is stock and ive never had any issue with the look or the way it handles but as i said a few changes are going to be made.

I have a few body parts that are going to be fitted and along with the above ill document this also.

so back to the dash...................................

strip10.jpg

strip11.jpg

strip12.jpg

strip14.jpg

strip15.jpg

strip16.jpg

strip18.jpg

strip20.jpg

strip21.jpg

strip29.jpg

So the dash is out and my parts arrived,my armrest was broke on the hinge so i replaced the whole unit also i used some gaffa tape to secure my seatbelts a few years ago on a trackday as they where rattling and it wrecked the speaker surrounds so ive replaced them to.

also you can see the head lining has been removed ready for the black one and ive already fitted the new black sunvisors and the black interior light.

strip19.jpg

strip23.jpg

strip 6.jpg

SDC11272.jpg

This is the drivers seat..........i got a pair out of a 2009 honda civic type R and ive had them fitted for the last 3 years along with a set of 4 point harnesses.since i fitted them ive always thought they were slightly too high in the car (mounted on the standard supra rails) so this time ive decide to have them re-shaped and lowered as much as i can without loosing the comfort.

This one came back today and after fitting it back in and banging the stering wheel on its just where i wanted it so im well happy,ill be calling the trimers on monday and give them the go ahead to match the passenger seat.

One thing ive totaly gone off is the "type R" logo.theres 3 options available to me to sort this.......

remove it,however this will involve a total re-trim as it cant be "picked".

cover it,by stiching black alcantara over the top to match the rest of the seat.

or dye it.....now i know what your thinking but i think it sticks out too much as it is so im going to experiment i think and if i can get the logo black to match the seat i recs it will look smart but we'll see.

SDC11281.jpg

SDC11282.jpg

SDC11283.jpg

Just to mention my plans for the body work.......nothing too OTT to be honest,ive already got the OEM side skirts and spats pictured below and im currently on the hunt for a plastic lip spoiler (my astra had a fiber glass kit and it was terrible for cracks so live and learn n all that) im aware the plastic ones are hard to come by but im sticking to my guns and ill find one.

Then its body shop time (this will be when ive finished the interior) the paintwork is clean with no rust but im going to get a few marks and dints sorted when its there getting the kit fitted (which will be re-painted).

cant get the pics of the spats on for some reason but ill try again at some point.

SDC11284.jpg

i was thinking yesterday that id beter upgrade the dash lights from the boring green standard colour so ive looked into it and electrics just are not my thing so ive found a contact on here who im sending the parts pictured off too to be re-done in white led's and im hoping this will give the dash a much cleaner look..........the parts im sending are as follows

clocks (spedo/tako)

cig lighter surround

driver door switched

ash tray light

heater matrix

dash light dimer switch

ignition surround light

also a pic of my carpet (this was gray) ive already coated it in 1L of black dye but im going to give it another 1L next week.

jobs for next week....dash changes before going for flocking along with other interior parts then preping the dash insert for painting and finish the carpet.

SDC11287.jpg

SDC11286.jpg

You can certainly stick the Ashtray where the sun dont shine lol.

Big project and good luck with it :) How exactly do you smash diffs in an n/a? Our resient diff smasher in chief Jamie P does it on his big power car alot, but an n/a??

ha i got asked that the other day! its not so much the power its just the drifting that kills em i think plus as ive said im just flat to the nuts 24 7 lol.at first my thoughts were "if thats all that breakes im well happy" but after the 3rd it got annoying so im now runing a turbo one as there a bit stronger but only time will tell.as for jamie p ive spoke to him on here once or twice and im not supprised his car eats em!!!!!

been at it again and managed to get the the dash ready for flocking tomorow.

As you will see ive decided to remove the top tweeters that sit in the top of the dash as my sound system didnt use them anyway so im sure you can see from the pics what i did.

also ive attached a pic of the parts that are going for flocking minus the rear rindow surrounds as they need a little fettle in the morning.

Next job? finishing the carpet (2nd coat of dye) and then its clock surround time! decided im 100% going for high shine black.

SDC11288.jpg

SDC11289.jpg

SDC11290.jpg

SDC11291.jpg

SDC11292.jpg

SDC11295.jpg

SDC11297.jpg

SDC11298.jpg

Today was my deadline for the panels being ready and going for flocking at 6pm as id booked them in last week........

I made it and they have now gone and ive been told a turn around of about 2 weeks due to the amount of work (ill put prices on when i get them back)

My plan from the start was to flock the dash,door cards and arm rest....well that went out of the window this morning when i decided the following parts were getting sent

Dash,door cards,arm rest and all attached parts,kick plates (that go on the top of the foot well below the door),foot rest,blower surrounds,all 4 speaker covers,rear speaker surrounds,door handle surrounds,A pilar covers,boot panels inc top boot cover (under spoiler inside the boot) and the window surrounds.......

As im using 4 point harnesses the holes for the standard seat belts are no longer needed so as you will see in the pics i got rid of them,also i had to do some small DIY plastic repairs as one of them had a crack i didnt know about

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Right then so ive had a slight change of plan waiting for the dash and other parts to come back from the flockers,as you will remember i said i wanted the car to be more "track focused" and this is still the plan but ive decided to fit a better "removeable" sound system for use on the street.

Ive already upgraded the speakers in the past but they dont have much base so im fitting a sub and amp,ive done the whole boot build thing in the past and this in not what im looking for this time around so im building over where the rear seats were and if my idea goes to plan you wont be able to see either the sub or amp at all (to avoid looking cheezy).

Ive also picked the dash up today which has been flocked and it looks wicked! i got an amazing deal which i will share with you all at a later date [GRIN][/GRIN]. All being well the sound system will be finished in a few days, ill drop that in at the flockers then i can get on with putting the dash back together.busy times for me!

ive also had word that my clocks and other dash parts are winging there way back to me after having the white led's fitted so ill get on with putting those back together when the dash goes in......everything is starting to come together now slowley but surely.

SDC11312.jpg

SDC11314.jpg

SDC11316.jpg

SDC11317.jpg

SDC11318.jpg

SDC11319.jpg

SDC11320.jpg

SDC11321.jpg

SDC11313.jpg

Please tell me you took out the heater box and replaced the heater matrix unit while the dash was out? :)

It is something that will need done at some point, this would be as good a time as any ;) (I just replaced mine!)

Best of luck with everything, fairly rigorous with your methods - I like it :D

Had the full day on the car today and ive learned that working with wood is soooooo slow!!! i decided this morning to put the seats in just to make sure my workings were correct and double check they would clear the new frame ive built.......turns out my workings were bang on and in the most layed back position id sit the clearance is just right.

i must say its a real good fit,when i started i knew that if i didnt spend the time on it now id regret it when it starts making noises later on so measure 3 times and cut once is the way foward with this one!!!

im sticking to my plan and hiding the sub however im still throwing ideas around for the amp as ill need access to it for small sound adjustments.

11111.jpg

2222.jpg

33333.jpg

44444.jpg

555555.jpg

666666.jpg

777777.jpg

888888.jpg

999999.jpg

Time for an update ive been to busy to update with working on the car but the cameras filling up so better get it done.

finished the sound system,it took me around 30 hours to get it right and how i wanted it!!!!!!!! (first time ive done wood work).

As you will see Ive hiden the actual base speaker and just left the cooling strips and dials showing on the amp,i put this on the left hand side of the car so i can reach the dials from the drivers seat.As for the actual shell ive bonded it to add strength and going to flock both the inside and out to help with sound proofing it.

SDC11386.jpg

SDC11340.jpg

SDC11342.jpg

SDC11339.jpg

system 1.jpg