The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Was a bit bored today so started refurbing my Work's Alloys....What have I done lol

DodgyRog

Well with the weather being a bit iffy today, I could not do the work on the White Supra I wanted to do

So decided to jump head long into refurbing the inners of my 3 Piece Work VS-TX

I was hoping to get them to Ibrar(Speedwells) to go Black Chrome, but with the escalating cost of my Supra's remodel, it's going to have to wait until next spring

Started like this, this morning

and got it to this by the time light was fading,

took about 2-3 hours I guess in total with a few coffee and biscuit stops, it's right back to bare metal, going to give it a coat of Matt Black Hammerite tomorrow, just hope I can get a decent finish

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

nice work there and sounds like a good temp solution to get them looking acceptable till you can get the black chrome done, which, is an awesome choice btw. :thumbs:

Thanks Marc, still got the other 3 to do, but going to give this one a spray over tomorrow and while it's drying I can start striping the next one and so on

I think Black Chrome is a really modern, but subtle look and should go with my car perfectly, I was really hoping to be able to get it done this Spring, but I have no chance now

Cool, nice one :)

Might refurb my wheels at home at some point soon. Hope they turn out well.

Cheers Josh, it's an easy enough job, you just have to be patient and have loads of time, as it take loads more time than you think it's going to

I think Black Chrome is a really modern, but subtle look and should go with my car perfectly, I was really hoping to be able to get it done this Spring, but I have no chance now

yeah i was going to get rota drifts a while back and was set on the black chrome too, really like the finish the colour gives, as you say, nice and modern.

yeah i was going to get rota drifts a while back and was set on the black chrome too, really like the finish the colour gives, as you say, nice and modern.

Funny enough I was looking at them at Japfest last year, I almost ordered them, but was a couple of hundred short, that's when I decided I needed Black Chrome in my life:cool:

WAIT!!! hammerite runs really easy, like water!! mist it on it seriously thin coats, trust me, and it takes ages to dry, i noticed it drys better in the cold than the hot. But dont leave them outside on a wet day or overnight, when you wake up it will have white spots all over it....

Yeah, hammerite is SERIOUSLY runny. It's pretty hard stuff to work with actually. They seem to put an aweful lot of thinners in, must be to keep the nozzle clear due to the makeup of the hammerite.

You'll need about 10 seriously thin coats of the stuff to get it solid.

Ready for paint, wish I had checked back on here before starting though, your right its seriously runny

Well after 5 coats

It's not a perfect finish, but much better than before, just have to see how it drys over night now

The next one I will be much more patient with, especially the first couple of coats, definately needs lots of dusting coats to stop any runs

Are you sanding down after each coat aswell as dusting them down?

No, to be honest, I am not after a perfect finish, this is a stop gap until they go Black Chrome next spring. The side of the can said to allow 15 minutes between coats to get each coat to bond to each other

I am really surprised how good they have come out, although they have not dried properly yet, it's my first effort at spraying anything an odd shape

To get a better finish it won't take long to sand inbetween coats. Use some wet/dry paper and the finish will come up a treat.

It's not so much sand with wet/dry more like a light wipe if i'm honest. Just takes the "fluff" off the paint

I take it I need to allow it to dry over night for that though, I will give it a FLUFF tomorrow and then another coat then

Well decided these are good enough, especially as this is only 1 done, so 3 to go and only 4 weekends until Dragonba11 (O MY GOD:faint:)

They are by no means perfect, but I hope you agree, they are a lot better than before. If time was on my side, I could get the finish a lot better, but needs must

Also I ordered a Matt finish:blink: and this definately isn't Matt, guess it will have to do though

Still need to give the polished rim a good polish, use some Tyre shine, clean up the bolts, put them back in and put the centre caps back in properly (just balance in for pics), but need to let the paint go rock hard first