The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who is doing track time at Japfest?

ManwithSupra

I am doing some track time at Japfest this year :D

I am not out to break any records or act like a "driving god" but just to see what my new brake setup actually feels like on a track (1st track since install).

Just wondered if anyone else going to Japfest is doing track time?

Rich:p

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Was going to do some track time but when i cam to book it.. Pretty much every slot had sold out :(

Seems to be very popular. Better get in there early next time then ey..

will be watching you wizz round anyway, get it sideways for the lads :) .... joking .. i know i wouldnt want to risk my lift home on the track.

enjoy thought dude

I think people are mindful of the driving standards at these sort of things, where a few minutes on an unfamiliar track, in front of mates and girlfriends tends to bring out the worst excesses in young men :) I did once hear some statistics from Combe about accident rates on these sorts of days, which was shocking, if not totally surprising. So take great care, it's as much about keeping out of other people's accidents as not having your own.

I think people are mindful of the driving standards at these sort of things, where a few minutes on an unfamiliar track, in front of mates and girlfriends tends to bring out the worst excesses in young men :) I did once hear some statistics from Combe about accident rates on these sorts of days, which was shocking, if not totally surprising. So take great care, it's as much about keeping out of other people's accidents as not having your own.

Very Wise words and something i have been thinking about quite seriously too.

I bought the track time on an impulse but to be honest i am having second thoughts (hence this thread)

I think I am going to decide if I end up doing the session on the day. I will base it on what type of people attend the briefing, how the previous sessions look and how many incidents there are...

If i think there seem to be too many "Stig Wannabies" then i think i will pass going out on the track.. after all i would rather lose the £35 it cost for the track time then loosing my my pride and joy because some spotty 17 old kid in a boyed up Civic thinks he was a driving legend and wants to show off.

Hmmmmm not sure if i want to do it now.... well may do a couple of laps... I dunno.

What does everyone reckon i should do?

I imagine there will be lots of bad boys/chavs there trying to show off.

When I first have a go at a track day, I'll make sure it's a club run day so people are mindful of each other and not trying to show off.

Yeah i want to go on a few club track days too (now the car is up to scratch) but they all seem to be up north :D

May do a couple of closed MSA days goodwood (will have to check dates)

Also a bad thing about doing it at Japfest is you may feel you have to drive fast just because so many people are watching you. So you end up going too fast and showing off as you don't want some chav chariot flying past you and everyone thinking your Captain Slow and the chav has the faster car :D

I went to Japfest 4 or 5 years ago. There were lots of supras on the track (between 10 and 20), enough for their own session IIRC. I didn't see any crashes. I wonder what's putting people off? Chris Wilson's points above must have also applied back then, unless it's got a lot worse recently.

Richard: see what you feel like on the day. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. Otherwise give it a go.

Also a bad thing about doing it at Japfest is you may feel you have to drive fast just because so many people are watching you. So you end up going too fast and showing off as you don't want some chav chariot flying past you and everyone thinking your Captain Slow and the chav has the faster car :D

What’s wrong with being Captain slow :) ... Slow and steady wins the race he he...

I am only really using this as the first opportunity to see how my brakes handle up on the track (As this is the first track event since installing them) If i do decide to go and do a few laps i won’t be "trundling" around, i will be driving quickly but I will be driving within my limits and not trying to be something I am not.

If those limits are make me slower than some Chav who lives their life on a string then that’s cool, I won’t be dead or car-less at the end of it

I am also certainly not making the club look bad by lowering myself to such idiocy by driving like a loon anyway :p

http://www.rafnews.co.uk/stories/81/500_James-May.jpg

and no i dont look like him lol :)

I went to Japfest 4 or 5 years ago. There were lots of supras on the track (between 10 and 20), enough for their own session IIRC. I didn't see any crashes. I wonder what's putting people off? Chris Wilson's points above must have also applied back then, unless it's got a lot worse recently.

Richard: see what you feel like on the day. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. Otherwise give it a go.

That’s interesting to know, i do hope its the same, this is my first Japfest event so i want to make it a good one.

I know what you mean by "not feeling right" i have had a few of those occasions before and decided not to go ahead and usually they have turned out for the best :)