The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Finish solutions for clock surrounds and clock lighting upgrade options

skippyboyo1

Morning guys,right i have a couple of questions im hoping i can get some help with.....

Im currently taking my dash out to be sent for flocking..... dash,door cards,rear speaker surrounds,arm rest etc etc and im currently scratching my head as to what im going to do with the dash panel that starts at the ignition and finishes at the bottom of the handbrake.the finish im wanting to achive with this is a shiny black (like my paintwork,my supra is black)

As you all know this is coated in a type of rubber,now i have done my homework and know alot of you guys have managed to remove this with nail varnish and other chemicals and then painted so this is an option i have so thanks for that.

Now the questions.......

ive heard of powder coating and used this process in the past but can you powder coat plastic or is this just a solution for metal?

Is there any other process you can think of i could use to get the effect im looking for other than the 2 ive mentioned (painting/powder coating if that is one).....

...And as usual you start one job and then decide to do others so here is my other......The dash lights,im looking to upgrade from the standard dull green lighting so id be replacing the clock lighting along with all the heater matrix lighting etc etc.ive had a bad experience with using led's (i put them in my rear number plate lights and they lasted about a month) and as you can imagine i dont want to replace the lights and one go out and be taking the dash apart ever other month.

so my last question............

Whats the best way to upgrade my dash lighting with out having to re-wire everything?

Ill be puting pictures up soon as this is the first time ive actualy took process pictures of the work.

thanks in advance.

craig:)

I think a Matt finish looks better on the dash, a gloss finish always looks a bit odd to me

but at the end of the day, you have to sit and look at it, so if you like the look of the gloss finish go for it, just make sure you do the prep work well to get a good finish

you want a satin or matt black with a satin laquer. Paints4u.co.uk is your friend.

Or, you can get the high gloss finish you want by spray or dip coating......but then your car will look chav and max power.

but i love max power............ my next upgrade is some spinning wheel trims from halfords and a cherry bomb exhaust.ha

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go guys - sorry it took so long. Not all of the refurbed panels have been fitted yet as I'm still waiting to fit the top 'odometer' panel and the right hand 'ignition' panel - you get the idea though. :)

Its a matt black paint with a matt lacquer over it. Haven't gotten around to doing the clock face but might just stick a metal monkey steel cover over it like the heating controls. Have got a set of Hecklers new PCB's to go in too when I get some time over the easter bank hol.

P1050052.JPG

P1050054.jpg

P1050060.jpg

P1050061.jpg

Here you go guys - sorry it took so long. Not all of the refurbed panels have been fitted yet as I'm still waiting to fit the top 'odometer' panel and the right hand 'ignition' panel - you get the idea though. :)

Its a matt black paint with a matt lacquer over it. Haven't gotten around to doing the clock face but might just stick a metal monkey steel cover over it like the heating controls. Have got a set of Hecklers new PCB's to go in too when I get some time over the easter bank hol.

yup i like! been waiting on these pics