The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need headlight reseal

Tyson

is it hard to get the headlight off or is it a pain?

If that's a question in regards to the lens (not sure if you meant this or to remove the headlight from the car):

Not too bad,

Some people "bake" the light in the oven - are guides on here to do it.

Personally I don't like the risk factor of opening the oven to find it's "overdone" or the temp was too high, or the bottom of the light has warped etc. (but this is just me ofc, it has been done loads of times before without issues so long as you are careful and read up.

I use a hair-dryer (1/2 decent one at the least) that can produce a good heat, then go around and heat sections of the seal. Once you can feel the the sealant is "sticky" you can start to pull the lens away from the black plastic back.

Do this "piece-by-piece" as it were and moving around the lens and it eventually it should come away.

Quick 60 second write up on how to do it if that helps mate.

If it's about removing the headlight thats 3 bolts and disconnecting the loom running to the backs of the bulbs. : )

b;3075894']If that's a question in regards to the lens (not sure if you meant this or to remove the headlight from the car):

Not too bad,

Some people "bake" the light in the oven - are guides on here to do it.

Personally I don't like the risk factor of opening the oven to find it's "overdone" or the temp was too high, or the bottom of the light has warped etc. (but this is just me ofc, it has been done loads of times before without issues so long as you are careful and read up.

I use a hair-dryer (1/2 decent one at the least) that can produce a good heat, then go around and heat sections of the seal. Once you can feel the the sealant is "sticky" you can start to pull the lens away from the black plastic back.

Do this "piece-by-piece" as it were and moving around the lens and it eventually it should come away.

Quick 60 second write up on how to do it if that helps mate.

If it's about removing the headlight thats 3 bolts and disconnecting the loom running to the backs of the bulbs. : )

Surprisingly doing it that way you risk the chance of burning the light more. As long as you have the oven set to the correct temperature (around 80 degC) you can leave them in there for ages with no worry of burning. If you have a really hot hair dryer 100+ degC you can quite easily burn the plastic.

The guide on here is a bit iffy as it mentions crazy temps, I have asked the op to change it to a sensible figure but I was ignored. Putting the oven to 180 degrees and sticking the lights in for 5 mins is doing exactly the same thing as setting it to 80 and putting them in for 10. The end result is that your lights hit around 60-70 degrees and the gum melts easily. The danger with having them in so high is the outer plastic will see temps way higher than the necessary 60-70 degrees and will then melt.

If you wanted to be super safe you could set the oven to 60 degrees and leave them for 20 mins (80 really is safe though), you could leave them in all night at that if you wanted :D

I split mine at 100 degrees in the oven , I just kept and eye on it and took them out after a few minutes to see how soft the glue went if it wasn't soft enough it went back in for another min, I repeated this till the glue was soft enough to pull apart,

don't put them in and walk away god noes what you'd come back to lol

Surprisingly doing it that way you risk the chance of burning the light more. As long as you have the oven set to the correct temperature (around 80 degC) you can leave them in there for ages with no worry of burning. If you have a really hot hair dryer 100+ degC you can quite easily burn the plastic.

The guide on here is a bit iffy as it mentions crazy temps, I have asked the op to change it to a sensible figure but I was ignored. Putting the oven to 180 degrees and sticking the lights in for 5 mins is doing exactly the same thing as setting it to 80 and putting them in for 10. The end result is that your lights hit around 60-70 degrees and the gum melts easily. The danger with having them in so high is the outer plastic will see temps way higher than the necessary 60-70 degrees and will then melt.

If you wanted to be super safe you could set the oven to 60 degrees and leave them for 20 mins (80 really is safe though), you could leave them in all night at that if you wanted :D

There you go, oven method made safe :thumbs: