The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BMW powered supra.......

jazz1

Which do you think is the better engine? Using common sen... oh, wait. The Mpower BWM engine is FAR more advanced than the 2JZ, leagues ahead.

Fixed the link for you.

MICo7PEyXFw

In what way is it leagues ahead? Power delivery will be very similar, power will probably be less, unless a fortune has been spent on parts. A nice conversion, but utterly pointless in a drift car. It may make more sense on a road car, but that would be impossible to tell without more specifics.

In what way is it leagues ahead? Power delivery will be very similar, power will probably be less, unless a fortune has been spent on parts. A nice conversion, but utterly pointless in a drift car. It may make more sense on a road car, but that would be impossible to tell without more specifics.

They are N/A and producing more power in standard trim than the 2JZ does with 2 turbos. Being N/A with lots of cylinders means nigh on instant throttle response so the power delivery will be miles out.

Power less than a 2JZ? Not really sure where you get that. Bone stock vs bone stock even the older M3 engines, I think, produce more power.

I think the 2JZ strength is about the only score it has over the BMW. They can be taken further and pushed harder with a smaller budget. Anyone with any sense has to see that the M technology far supasses what Toyota came up with in the 80s/90s.

It would hinge on what engine has been selected, everything from the BMW M class now is ahead on just about every level. In simple technology and sophisitication though, BMW have been miles ahead of the 2JZ for YEARS now.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

But it's not NA, that one has been turbo'd.

It's only going to be even better then isn't it.

I'm confused by your point here?

I said an M engine was leagues ahead of a 2JZ, you disagree. What does that have to do with whether the engine is turbo'd or not?

It's only going to be even better then isn't it.

I'm confused by your point here?

I said an M engine was leagues ahead of a 2JZ, you disagree. What does that have to do with whether the engine is turbo'd or not?

Everything. The amount of supporting mods to get that engine to anywhere near to what even a stock 2JZ can deliver would render this swap very, very expensive. Part of the M3 engines superb response, due to individual throttle bodies. These have most likely been ditched in favour of a large plenum and a simpler, single large body, Taking that advantage away. Lowering the compression to run more boost? Even less response and efficiency.

Also, if you read any reviews of the E36 m3 Evo vs the Supra when they were new, the Journalists all seemed to think the 2JZ was the better engine. Wether that's technically true or not is irrelavent, If the car drives better. I've driven stock Supras and E36/E46 M3s, and while they may be just as quick, they don't feel it as you have to work them hard to get the best from them.

So perhaps after all that work they *may* have something slightly superior to a 2JZ. Superior enough to justify the financial outlay? Not a chance.

Everything. The amount of supporting mods to get that engine to anywhere near to what even a stock 2JZ can deliver would render this swap very, very expensive. Part of the M3 engines superb response, due to individual throttle bodies. These have most likely been ditched in favour of a large plenum and a simpler, single large body. Taking that advantage away.

Also, if you read any reviews of the E36 m3 Evo vs the Supra when they were new, the Journalists all seemed to think the 2JZ was the better engine. Wether that's technically true or not is irrelavent, If the car drives better. I've driven stock Supras and E36/E46 M3s, and while they may be just as quick, they don't feel it as you have to work them hard to get the best from them.

So perhaps after all that work they *may* have something slightly superior to a 2JZ. Superior enough to justify the financial outlay? Not a chance.

Question... is the BWM engine better

Answer - Yes.

Anyone to say a 2JZ is better than an modern Mtech engine is mental IMO. The BMW engines are far superior due to modern technological advances.

Is it better for this particular use? - Debateable. A debate that I wouldn't be a part of as I am ill informed to discuss it. I don't drift or know anything about what makes a better drift engine. I have read that a 1JZ would be better for that particular application though.

Does that clear it up a bit? I wasn't talking about any particular application (although I didn't think I made it look like I was either), I was just saying that the modern Mtech engine is technologically miles ahead of the 2JZ. I still stand by that point so if you think otherwise please base your arguments based on this mindset.

Question... is the BWM engine better

Answer - Yes.

Anyone to say a 2JZ is better than an modern Mtech engine is mental IMO. The BMW engines are far superior due to modern technological advances.

Is it better for this particular use? - Debateable. A debate that I wouldn't be a part of as I am ill informed to discuss it. I don't drift or know anything about what makes a better drift engine. I have read that a 1JZ would be better for that particular application though.

Does that clear it up a bit? I wasn't talking about any particular application (although I didn't think I made it look like I was either), I was just saying that the modern Mtech engine is technologically miles ahead of the 2JZ. I still stand by that point so if you think otherwise please base your arguments based on this mindset.

I went off point a bit :) though I originally meant in this application.

But, I wouldn't necessarily say the BMW engine is better. BMW and Toyota took different paths to achieve a similar goal. BMW have now started using turbo charged engines in their m-cars, which may suggest Toyota were onto something :)

I understand where Scott is coming from, but from a driver point of view after driving the E36 M3 (3.2 Evo) the E46 M3, I find the power delivery across the rev range much better from the 2JZ (not surprised with the twin setup). If you are comparing engines then you would have to use the E36 (3.0L M3 engine) to compare against the 2JZ. Apart from BMW engines suffering from VANOS issues they were just as reliable as the 2JZ. Power output from an engine point of view was much higher from the BMW engine which managed 2JZ levels without the requirements for forced induction. From that sense yes they were technically more advanced to get that from similar straight six setup.

With regards to having a higher power application on the same base engines, the 2JZ wins hands down.

Plus they get an extra point for being generally more reliable.

But, I wouldn't necessarily say the BMW engine is better. BMW and Toyota took different paths to achieve a similar goal. BMW have now started using turbo charged engines in their m-cars, which may suggest Toyota were onto something :)

Like the 335i? (Straight 6, twin turbo)

I understand where Scott is coming from, but from a driver point of view after driving the E36 M3 (3.2 Evo) the E46 M3, I find the power delivery across the rev range much better from the 2JZ (not surprised with the twin setup). If you are comparing engines then you would have to use the E36 (3.0L M3 engine) to compare against the 2JZ. Apart from BMW engines suffering from VANOS issues they were just as reliable as the 2JZ. Power output from an engine point of view was much higher from the BMW engine which managed 2JZ levels without the requirements for forced induction. From that sense yes they were technically more advanced to get that from similar straight six setup.

With regards to having a higher power application on the same base engines, the 2JZ wins hands down.

Plus they get an extra point for being generally more reliable.

I don't mean the 90s M Tech engines, I'm talking about the modern day V8 & V10 engines lol. What engine is in that Supra? Is it an old one? I wouldn't chose anything other than those over the 2JZ if talking of BMW engines.

I have no idea what the MTech engines were like back then, I've never even driven a post 2004 BMW for example.

I wasn't saying that BMW were miles better than Toyota "back in the day", I'm saying that the modern Mtech engines are technologically miles better than the 90's 2JZ engine. I actually thought the one in that Supra was a modern V8 variant with a tubby stuck on it.