The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone running an AEM FIC?

wallis

Just interested to see whos running the budget aem fic on there bpu or single supras and what power levels are u running at, and have u had any problems?

I think im having problems with my fic, so looking to change it if i cant get it sorted.

Feed back anyone?

Cheers,

Matt.

I have had a intermittant problem since i got the car back, and just cant sort it?

I dont have allot of time to use the car and in the wet when i first got it back it was just spinning the wheels up in every gear, so i couldnt really tell what was going on?

Since the weather is better the car grips really well now so u can get a better feel for the car and what its doing.

Sometimes it pulls really strong with no problems and then it starts doing all sorts or random things, misfires, random afrs, cut outs, popping imbetween gear changes etc.....im gutted really!

I have already had to change allot of things on the build like oil/water/vac pipes/lines to braided heat ressistant ptfe ones, as my old new ones either got baked solid and cracked or melted....lol

I melted my acc cable above the turbo and it stuck at 6000 revs in a 30mph.....shit me up to say the least!

Just teething problems really which ive sorted out and really gone to town on the heat shielding, so its all spot on now.

Its just the intermittant fault now, i dont think the fic is up to the job its only a budget piggyback ecu, if it worked great, i gave it a try but it appears its not really anygood for 500bhp + with big injectors etc.

Did it not turn out to be your RLTC cutting in? i know that can do strange things, i just had a search about on supraforums and cant find much info on the fic tbh, not many run them it seems, no reported problems i can see, read a couple people say they are good for small single and up to 850cc injectors, what made you go with one? Id get it back to your mapper to check it out.

I had one fitted last year, after months of intermittent problems and tearing my hair out I eventually got a mapper to check it - FIC was at fault. Luckily I'm only running BPU so we were able to just remove it and back to the stock ECU.

Main problems I can remember are a juddering between on/off boost (usually noticed when cruising on the motorway) and an intermittent misfire type behaviour higher up the rev range, almost like having a lower rev limiter.

Basically tommorrow im finishing work early to change the ign pack (cheers craig) record a datalog on my laptop and check what i can with the aem software, then send to matt to have a look over.

I spoke to matt at afr he thinks it could possibly be a faulty temp sensor, but has to agree that maybe the fic's not up to the job as well.

Im only running 720cc inj so no where near 850cc ones, the car when ok runs lovely and pulls like a bull on steriods.

I had all the ign pack pins and fic connections cleaned and tightened by my mate whos an auto electrician, he was happy they were all good.

I even fitted a braided vac pipe in place of the old one from the manifold to the fic through the bulkhead, to eliminate a possible crushed vac pipe.

The other main problem is when the car is ok and running fine im still getting the popping between gear changes, which i dont like one bit and isnt right.

I think the car will be going back to afr and im just waiting on matt to have a think about whats my best option now.

Im thinking new ecu and a new gtx30r!

I had one fitted last year, after months of intermittent problems and tearing my hair out I eventually got a mapper to check it - FIC was at fault. Luckily I'm only running BPU so we were able to just remove it and back to the stock ECU.

Main problems I can remember are a juddering between on/off boost (usually noticed when cruising on the motorway) and an intermittent misfire type behaviour higher up the rev range, almost like having a lower rev limiter.

No way........thats my problem fella exactly!

Ive done the same checking and changing everything.......i have pulled my hair out though!

Im glad u said something mate, cheers.

I have one currently on t61 and had no troubles at all. IMO very reliable bit of kit.

I'm sure there's a few people having good results with the fic, what are the specs of your setup mate auto or man and power levels etc?

It does seem that more people are taking them out than fitting them thesedays, and no ones recommending them either anymore for some reason?

Only reason I went with one is because Ryan recommended it to me as perfect for my set up, small single turbo and auto.

Well will find out tonight ;-)

i have the aem fic fitted and have some similar problems, i had detting at transion point due to leaving in the fdc in when instaled, and had adjusted timing to over come problem which now gives a miss fire, it also depends on who fitted it and if it was done correctly as on the aem manual it says you need to fit a resistor on one of the signals.i took mine to ryan after being instalded by another company to over come these problems

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

Only reason I went with one is because Ryan recommended it to me as perfect for my set up, small single turbo and auto.

Thanks! Did I fit it or map it? Will remember that nice comment For future help requirements.

I wouldn't of recommended it for your setup as you are using 720cc injectors, on the thread were I introduced these I clearly state not recommended for over 650cc.

But this will only be half your issue by the sounds of it. Some cars need resistors to be fitted, some just don't work at all. AEM quality control is just s*^t

Ryan

ryan thanks again for thne great work sorting out other peoples problems

glad to catch you here, i am going round brands on the 7th with mine i dont know if you remember me i had the black one with the afr in place of the stock lambda sensor i have now put back in stock sensor and moved the afr down, i do have the afr boncing around when slightly on throttle on a flat road you can feel the car pulling and not as they bonce this is due to me fitting the stock sensor back in,and a slight miss fire at the transition point sometimes,i am now in a postion where you can have the car for a week and work your magic have a look at that starting problem i have after about a hour it hates starting, as we didnt have time to sit around wait for my car to cool.

any chance you can do a full remap as you was only tweaking for removing the fcd and detting, and didnt do the set up map and starting?

i just want the peace of mind that its done correctly by you!

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

I'm sure there's a few people having good results with the fic, what are the specs of your setup mate auto or man and power levels etc?

It does seem that more people are taking them out than fitting them thesedays, and no ones recommending them either anymore for some reason?

Iv got a 6 speed but only mapped at 1 bar at the min due to having troubles with the ignitor pack. Having a re-map in a few weeks to 1.4/1.5 bar with the help of a HKS DLI. Will let you know how it goes.

I've got to be honest and from research it appears now the fic is not ideal for single autos.

My advise to u guys with similar problems is to have a rethink on what your doing and don't throw money away on something that's not upto the job in the first place!

I think u will find when running more boost and fuel it's not your ign packs fcd's or the need for hks dli's, its actually the fic at fault.

I'm now not wasting anymore money or time on the fic and going for an f-con and a remapping.

Best of luck to everyone, think wisely guys ;-)

Thanks! Did I fit it or map it? Will remember that nice comment For future help requirements.

I wouldn't of recommended it for your setup as you are using 720cc injectors, on the thread were I introduced these I clearly state not recommended for over 650cc.

Some cars need resistors to be fitted, some just don't work at all.

Ryan

What kind of resistor pack? Would it basically do the same job as a HKS DLI??