The mkiv Supra Owners Club

screamer pipes

Rob_Mitchell

hey guys little question, does it matter how long the pipes are? im planning the build so that everything is ready for the end of the year.

I really want the screamers to exit out through the drivers wing and have a nice slash cut to them.

im trying to find a pic but i cant seem to find one now :rolleyes:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dont think length matters, its just a pipe to guide away excess gas. Hope you got ear defenders ready, mine exits under the car and thats loud enough!

i have never owned a turbo car but i think it needs screamer pipes and dump valves (louder the better) they sound insane... especially hearing lui's rip past me just made me want.

i have never owned a turbo car but i think it needs screamer pipes and dump valves (louder the better) they sound insane... especially hearing lui's rip past me just made me want.

Have a read of the thread about any exhaust sound over stock levels being illegal :p

I personally love the sound of a screamer pipe and would take the risk and fit one anyway :)

Have a read of the thread about any exhaust sound over stock levels being illegal :p

I personally love the sound of a screamer pipe and would take the risk and fit one anyway :)

Don't plumb it back into the exhaust have it vent under the bonnet then it is not part of the exhaust technically.

I think the bigger problem is causing someone injury through ear damage.

Edited by Tyson (see edit history)

noise levels and damaging hearing? now thats a plan.

no way am i plumbing into the exhaust.

Have it exiting from the centre of the bonnet, or even aiming upwards from the left side of the car so you can blow girls' dresses/skirts up... Summer's coming y'know ;)

Mines plumbed back into the downpipe ATM , I want it venting to atmosphere when it goes in but I'll make it so that if I want I can re route it back into the downpipe if it gets annoying :)

it wont get annoying, just hearing it rip past on the motorway from other cars makes me tingle inside and puts a smile on my face

It doesn't matter how long the screamer pipe is.

You don't have to have a screamer pipe, the wastegate can be recirculated back into the exhaust which makes it a lot quieter. A screamer pipe is EXTREMELY loud as you basically have a 3L engine with a 10" long straight through exhaust pipe, venting it through the wing is only going to draw more attention to the car.

You also don't need a BOV/dump valve on a turbo car.

Here goes.....

I'm not explaining a wastegate to you though....

The wastegate on a turbo car is used to control the amount of exhaust gas passing through the turbo. When a certain pressure is reached the wastegate fluctuates to direct the exhaust gas away from the turbine in order to keep the turbo at a constant pressure. The exhaust gas clearly has to go somewhere so the wastegate has an exhaust port of its own. You have 2 options from here on out. Either plumb the exhaust of the wastegate back into the exhaust or make a mini exhaust for it to be directed away from components of the car but still venting to atmosphere.

The later is called a screamer pipe, reason being the noise it makes ;)

Here goes.....

I'm not explaining a wastegate to you though....

The wastegate on a turbo car is used to control the amount of exhaust gas passing through the turbo. When a certain pressure is reached the wastegate fluctuates to direct the exhaust gas away from the turbine in order to keep the turbo at a constant pressure. The exhaust gas clearly has to go somewhere so the wastegate has an exhaust port of its own. You have 2 options from here on out. Either plumb the exhaust of the wastegate back into the exhaust or make a mini exhaust for it to be directed away from components of the car but still venting to atmosphere.

The later is called a screamer pipe, reason being the noise it makes ;)

Cheers :thumbs:

Cheers :thumbs:

Personally, I Googled it when I first heard about them to save any embarrassment :tongue:

Oh and put in "Supra Screamer" on Youtube and check a video towards the top of a car on a track that's about 30 seconds long. Sounds like a jet taking off :drool:

It's someone from the forum :)