The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Road after BPU

Samurai 20V

Hi Guys..

Been wondering what my options are after I hit BPU on my TT6..

I know that mild singles are popular, HKS twins are also an option..Power figures 600HP, i would think.

Is there anything in-between the BPU and these options, power and cost wise? So basically what other ways are there to gain around 500HP.

I have seen Hybrids on Whiftzbitz, are these a feasible option, can I use the OEM management and what sort of power am I looking at? Will the injectors fuel as well?

As I have mentioned b4, tuning options are limited in South Africa, I was looking at the AEM V2 ECU, I saw that they can offer mapping services by email. That might be a good option if I decide to upgrade the car, anybody using this option?

Just speculating at the moment, looking for some guidance.

Thanks!

The max you'll get with stock J-spec turbos is around 430hp, with cams and ECU.

With hybrids, plus cams, ECU and bigger fuel injectors you'll perhaps get around 450hp, but the car won't feel quite as responsive as the hybrid turbos will take a little longer to spool up. I'd personally not go this route.

Anything more than that and you'd need to strip off the stock turbos and fit an aftermarket turbo kit. For me a 61mm turbo would be the smallest I'd fit, with all the necessary supporting mods this will give you around 550hp. If you want more than that the sky's the limit, providing your bank balance is up to it.

IMO 550-600hp makes for the perfect fast street setup, fast response with more than enough power.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

There is a member with a set of hybrids at the moment running around 500hp. They seem like proper hybrid turbos though, with much more efficient cores, so it pays to get the right kit to begin with.

What most people don't take into account is that the actual turbo kit itself isn't the big outlay of chasing a power goal. If you want 500hp you will spend virtually the same amount of money as it would take to hit 700hp. Obviously there will be differences but on the grand scale of things there isn't much in it at all.

If you go down the hybrids route, you will want the good ones which are expensive. You may save £1k or so over a single turbo kit but the other costs will be exactly the same..

Turbo setup of choice - Hybrids or Single 2k-3k

Fuel Setup - £500+

Engine Management - £800+

Clutch - £500+

Exhaust System - £400+

Intercooler - £600+

Induction Kit - £100+

New Plugs & service fluids etc - £200+

Fitting - £1500+

Mapping - £300+

Then you have to look at (some highly recommended) optional extras

Cams - £600+

Gauges (Boost, EGT, AFR, Oil Press/Temp) - £100-£200ea

Engine Refresh - £0-unlimited

It makes no difference what road you decide to go down, after BPU you are in it for the long haul. IMO a small single is the only option as there are just too many unknowns with hybrids.

Well if we not going to gain much more power with the hybrid for the same cost, rather go single I suppose..

The car is definitely value for money up to BPU, after that like you say, who knows..

Anyway, just speculation for now. Thanks.

About the AEM ECU, you think mapping over email with AEM is a good option (No good tuners in SA)?

The car is definitely value for money up to BPU, after that like you say, who knows..

Yes the next step up from BPU is expensive, worth it but expensive.

About the AEM ECU, you think mapping over email with AEM is a good option (No good tuners in SA)?

Not a good idea, you could get hold of a base map but it would still need checking/tweaking on a dyno by someone who knows what they are doing. If you can't get it properly mapped much safer to stick with the stock ECU. Alternatively you fly Ryan G over there to do it.

Yes the next step up from BPU is expensive, worth it but expensive.

Not a good idea, you could get hold of a base map but it would still need checking/tweaking on a dyno by someone who knows what they are doing. If you can't get it properly mapped much safer to stick with the stock ECU. Alternatively you fly Ryan G over there to do it.

The only other option I have found is 1 HKS tuner that can map FconV.. Will have to check on their reputation... If they can be trusted I can possibly do the conversions in Japan and map in SA for local condition...