The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New brakes time I think!

James

My Supra has been sitting in the driveway (not indoors) since August nose down on an inclined driveway. The inside is empty (from heater matrix replacement) and the front end has been rebuilt (following a bump in March).

Just been thinking about the brakes and how tragic they are going to be! :rolleyes:

What is the best way of going about them to allow me to move the thing once I get everything put back together on the inside? Some joy with a hammer and rebuilding calipers or just full on replacing everything? :(

Also, at the same time, should I give a full fluid service to the car as well before trying to fire it up? Keeping in mind the last time it was running was August too.

Thanks! :(

Personally I would just get the refurb kits bud. Take the calipers off, give them a good clean and pistons a rub down with some light emery paper/scotchbrite to take off any corrosion. Then just replace all the seals, pins and clips from the refurb kit and jobs a goodun.

Mint working brakes, as good as new :D

Any links to these refurb kits Scott? That sounds ideal.

How about the discs? Just give them a good scour and then take the car for a good run?

The discs can be tricky, unfortunately due to our winter they may have suffered badly not being used. If they were cleaned off and de-gunked before sitting there then they might well be fine. It really depends on what condition they were in when the car sat there.

I took my rear discs off a year or so back and while they looked OK from the outside, they were absolutely foooked on the inside due to corrosion. It's a fairly easy job to get them off though, once the calipers are off simply wind in the handbrake adjustment wheel and tap them off with a rubber mallet (across 180 degrees). Once off, scrub off the rust and see what you are left with. If they look beyond useful life then bin for some new OEMs. If you go down that road check your pads though. As long as they have a reasonable amount of life left in them give them a little rub with 120grit emery to level them off and they will be fine to use again.

There is a minimum thickness for the discs, same for the fronts. Do a full inspection of them all to make sure everything is good.

It may sound like a lot but once the calipers are off it's a canter, it's a good job to have under your belt too :)

Oh, as for the part numbers I don't know off the top of my head. The refurb kits can be bought directly from toyota or one of the brake supplier places that is often listed on here. Obviously there is a difference in price, I always choose OEM though rather than A-N-Other, up to yourself as the saving might be considerable.

HTH

With stuff like brakes, I wouldn't go for Mr. Cheapos for the sake of little saving. OEM would suffice for sure! Never worth risking something like that :)

Ok, I'll get stuff under way and see how things look and take it from there anyway!

Legend for the info, thanks Scott!

With stuff like brakes, I wouldn't go for Mr. Cheapos for the sake of little saving. OEM would suffice for sure! Never worth risking something like that :)

Ok, I'll get stuff under way and see how things look and take it from there anyway!

Legend for the info, thanks Scott!

No worries mate, any help you need just give me a shout. I've had both sets down to the nuts and bolts :)