The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Question from a n00b!

General Banter

Hi folks,

Thought I'd register here as Im looking for a new daily driver and considering a MKIV Supra, always had a soft spot for them. Just got one simple question really whilst searching:

How do the N/A engines fare after covering 100k miles upwards?

I realise it's hard to give a difinitive answer as there are too many variables (servicing, getting ragged etc.) but are these a generally hardy engine that's capable of interstellar mileage?

Thanks in advance ;)

Barely even ran in at 100k to be honest. As long as the oil is changed at reasonable intervals there shouldn't be a problem.

I think there is an engine on here over 300k, and I think I read about one in Oz over 500k. I can't remember any exact figures though. If looked after the engine will outlive you though :D

Blimey, you guys don't hang around with replying! Thanks folks.

I'm afraid I'm being a bit of tightwad with this car as it'll hardly see the use it deserves. My commute to work is only 200yds and my wife and I already have Skylines for the weekend (flameproof suit on) so I need something fun that hasn't got major issues and also isn't turbocharged in order to prevent me from tuning ;)

If looked after the engine will outlive you though :D

Probably not hard given all the abuse my body gets. If I'm being frank, a paper cup stands a good chance of outliving me ha ha.

IMO, I wouldn't worry too much about the service history or mileage you get with an NA. If it's a 5 speed manual or am auto NA, I'd probably buy it on the condition of the bodywork and interior over anything else, so long as it drove straight.

ive seen someone turbo a 270k miles engine with no issues. claimed service more than recommended obviously. look after it well and should treat you well back.

there are low mile supra's out there you just gotta keep looking and wait if you are patient, dont rush it. i was getting impatient and was tempted to buy higher milliage supra's just as i wanted one so bad, just wait its worth not buying one you will regret. i ended up with 55k miles on a 94 import :-)

ive seen someone turbo a 270k miles engine with no issues. claimed service more than recommended obviously. look after it well and should treat you well back.

there are low mile supra's out there you just gotta keep looking and wait if you are patient, dont rush it. i was getting impatient and was tempted to buy higher milliage supra's just as i wanted one so bad, just wait its worth not buying one you will regret. i ended up with 55k miles on a 94 import :-)

Are you sure? ;)

There will be a LOT less genuine low mileage Supras than there are low mileage Supras in the UK. Very very easy to "clock" a car just before it is getting ready to ship over. Quite a common thing to do in fact. Another trick is to chop a few 1000 miles off during the conversion from KMs to M. My car has 78k on the clock, a raft of which will be kms rather than miles but I will take it with a pinch of salt regardless. I have plenty of paperwork to cover every mile in the UK but hee haw to show its life in Japan.

Welcome..!!

Seen some NA's put serious miles on then with no issues. If the engine fails it will only cost a couple of hundred quid to buy a new one.

Great engines..!!

H.

:yeahthat:

I picked up a second hand N/A motor for £250 as mine had been abused and was drinking oil. The new motor is probably close to 150k by now and besides throwing the crank pulley (seems to be a common failure around 70-80k) hasn't missed a beat and I rack up at least 300 miles a week all year round.