The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suffolk owners beware

supra steveo

Ive just been pulled and given a £30 ticket my HKS super drager from the cat back with cats still in is reading at 97.6Db it looks like they are on the crack down aswell, copper had to absolutly spank it to catch up to me i seen him clock me and turn around to follow me he had to make up about a good 400m and i was traveling at 70mph as to not give him any reason not to pull me :( so now what do, do I get a baffle made ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rules are extremely vague on the topic of exhaust loudness. If it was me I would fight him. He had no way of measuring the exhaust loudness properly, is not an approved MOT tested and was just trying it on.

Worth getting decent legal advice if you head that way.

I just found this on vca carfueldata

The external noise emitted by passenger cars has been controlled since 1929 when the Motor Cars (Excessive Noise) regulations were introduced. New cars are now required to meet Europe-wide noise limits. These have been progressively reduced from 82 decibels (dB(A)) in 1978 to the current limit of 74 dB(A) established in 1996. This means it would take 7 new vehicles to make the same amount of noise as one vehicle that just meets the pre-1978 limits. Information on the level of noise recorded for new models of cars at their type approval test is also listed in the data table.

When looking at this information please note that off-road vehicles are allowed to be 1dB(A) louder, as are direct injection diesels. These allowances are cumulative, so the limit for an off-road vehicle with a direct injection diesel engine is 76 dB(A).

The noise levels quoted above are the maximum levels that are permitted for new vehicle type. Many vehicles produce lower levels of noise, and it is illegal to modify the exhaust system of a vehicle to make it noisier than the level recorded for that model at type approval.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

he calibrated with mic with the engine off to get a backround reading (58.8Db) then 1st test was idle (78.8Db ) 2nd test was at 4K (97.6Db) second was at 3.5K (98.6Db) then the 4th test was at 4K again (97.6Db)

i am not really happy as i thought my exhaust was fairly quiet :(

I would have told him to minus the 58.8Db background reading & you are all good! :D

I just found this on vca carfueldata

The external noise emitted by passenger cars has been controlled since 1929 when the Motor Cars (Excessive Noise) regulations were introduced. New cars are now required to meet Europe-wide noise limits. These have been progressively reduced from 82 decibels (dB(A)) in 1978 to the current limit of 74 dB(A) established in 1996. This means it would take 7 new vehicles to make the same amount of noise as one vehicle that just meets the pre-1978 limits. Information on the level of noise recorded for new models of cars at their type approval test is also listed in the data table.

When looking at this information please note that off-road vehicles are allowed to be 1dB(A) louder, as are direct injection diesels. These allowances are cumulative, so the limit for an off-road vehicle with a direct injection diesel engine is 76 dB(A).

The noise levels quoted above are the maximum levels that are permitted for new vehicle type. Many vehicles produce lower levels of noise, and it is illegal to modify the exhaust system of a vehicle to make it noisier than the level recorded for that model at type approval.

That makes no sense, as how the hell do busses and other commercial vehicles manage to pass this, the same goes for all the exotics etc.

That makes no sense, as how the hell do busses and other commercial vehicles manage to pass this, the same goes for all the exotics etc.

My thoughts too - TVR's, Ferrari's, etc and all well over 95db as stock. There was a stock Ferrari 430 that had problems passing the 98db test at Bedford last time I was there.

Just get the 50 cal out and show him what DB's are, That's mad doing you for a loud exhaust see if you put a zonda or db9 up against the kit the reading's would be higher at 4,000 rpm but they are production cars, well i think its daft yea loud party's at a house but loud exaughst. Next you will get billed for turning up radio 1 in your car.

I've been having a read the last 20 mins on this, seems that this test is actually legal and inline with legal requirements. There's some very detailed threads on Pistonheads which show both European and UK law, including MOT criteria. In a short summary of the various threads, it seems that any type approved car must be within 2db of it's stock rate on the type approval sheet.

So, bascially anyone with a exhaust other than stock is illegal. On the exhaust DB register, even the extremely quiet NUR RX is above this limit.