The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Torque setting for Split Rim Bolts

DodgyRog

As above, going to do a home refurb on my Work Split rims, I intend to take the bolts out and remove the centres, then strip and spray them

Before I take them apart, does anyone know if there is a Torque setting for the bolts, when I put them back together

I am planing this to be a tempory tidy up until I can get the cash together to get them done in Black Chrome by Ibrar at Speedwells, I just need to tidy them up a bit, as they are letting the car down and I am fed up of seeing the paint flaking off:rolleyes:

90 NM or 70 foot pounds should do it.

That sounds like way to much to me, but where did you get the figures from

Do you know what thread size the bolts are?

Don't know yet, I have not checked, how do I check:blink:

:blink:

On my Work Equips their M7 x 1 mm and your looking at around 20ft lbs, use a dab of thread lock when you torque them back up

That sounds more like the sort of figure I was expecting, I would of thought Work would of used the same bolt in all there wheels

Do NOT do them up to 90Nm. FFS where the hell did that figure come from?

On my BBS split rims the perimeter screws were M7x1 and I did them up to 35Nm and part of me thought that was pushing it. Use a dab of Loctite 242 or 243 as well.

I'm going to reduce my figure to 25Nm. I'm still 99% sure I did mine up to 35Nm but I just re-did the calculation and it came out much lower and I can't think what I would have changed. A "normal" torque for an M8x1.25 is about 28Nm and for an M6x1 its more like 10Nm so an M7x1 should be somewhere between the two.

I've assuemd that the bolts are stainless steel going into aluminium.

You know these are the rim bolts we are talking about? Not the hub bolts.

I was thinking exactly the same ;)

The torque on the rim bolts will vary due to material spec, diameter, pitch and if you use a thread lock or not.

Also if there a nut and bolt set up like mine or bolt into the aluminium center piece.

There is no way on gods earth you should be tightening these up to 70ft lbs

in AF but metric would be similar (these are standard bolts ie highest quality)

Halfords,made in china bolts ,from some sort of cheese derivative .....this does not apply !!!!

Thread size LBin dry tq wet tq

10/32 82-88 53-57

1/4 107-113 73-77

5/16 204-216 155-160

3/8 388-412 290-310

7/16 655-695 388-412

1/2 1070-1140 558-592

9/16 1510-1590 873-927

5/18 2040-2160 1460-1550

3/4 3609-3910 2960 -3140

note these are thread sizes not head sizes , and not pipe or special headed bolts

All taken from the top of my tool box ,whenever I put it there ,cant remember !!

do your own metric conversions -lol

in AF but metric would be similar (these are standard bolts ie highest quality)

Halfords,made in china bolts ,from some sort of cheese derivative .....this does not apply !!!!

Thread size LBin dry tq wet tq

10/32 82-88 53-57

1/4 107-113 73-77

5/16 204-216 155-160

3/8 388-412 290-310

7/16 655-695 388-412

1/2 1070-1140 558-592

9/16 1510-1590 873-927

5/18 2040-2160 1460-1550

3/4 3609-3910 2960 -3140

note these are thread sizes not head sizes , and not pipe or special headed bolts

All taken from the top of my tool box ,whenever I put it there ,cant remember !!

do your own metric conversions -lol

Pretty much what I thought, 7mm will easily take 100lbs. Not so sure the alloy of the wheel would though :D

Are split rim bolts that big? I didn't realise they were that size.

Just google split rim torque settings or something similar and you wont find anyone listing such

high figures, BBS are 22/24 ft lbs

Oh I didn't think for a second they would be, I was just referring to what a 7mm bolt could actually take and why people shouldn't worry so much about it falling to bits :D

Also "Standard" bolts

Once upon a time when Britain ruled the world , lol, "Standard" was the finest quality , so a "Standard" instrument for example was an instrument that was used to calibrate others by, in a standard calibration room , all other instruments were then "sub standard" or lower catagories

over time such terms were lost , who would buy something sub standard now? ... and we went all metric and loads of EU numbers that no one actually knows , and then made in china ...

Jagman's figures are in LB inches, not foot pounds.

107 LBin = 8.9 LBF = 12Nm

That's a good point, I was thinking inches in my head not realising most of you guys were referencing feet lol.

I don't think we go into feet until after 10mm. I would need to check the torque wrenches though.

But yeah, don't go trying 100lbs feet :D