The mkiv Supra Owners Club

noob with new supra

t-one234

hey guys, appriciate im new and im asking questions

ive had my supra a day and its been a long 2 weeks negociating a deal, but its finally on my drive

its got a few problems, not to big though

first thing i need to do is replace the gear gaitor as its past it but i cant see how you would replace it (just bought a momo gearknob as the origonal was shot)

the handbrake light is intermittenly coming on

and the main problem is, my drivers door window is being proped up by a block of wood, ive searched high and low for a new motor but i cant find one anywhere, cheapest i was quoted 2nd hand was £200 and i thought this was excessive

and generally the interior needs freshing up, i was considering an aftermarket steering wheel and subtle bucket seats

any help would be appriciated

thank you for your time;)

If you want an original gear gaiter then you will need to buy a complete gear panel as they are not available separately. The gaiters are sometimes available on ebay.

To remove the gaiter pull on the circular hole around the gear gaiter and the panel will lift up. The gear gaiter is held in by a number of plastic pins, these go through holes in the gaiter and through a circular plastic collar, the head of the pins are then melted to form a type of rivet that holds the gaiter and collar in place. Cut/file the heads of the plastic rivets off, this will release the collar and gaiter.

The general warning light (it's not just the handbrake warning light) is probably coming on due to low brake fluid.

For the window mech speak to keron he is a breaker, the gear gaitor has to be done by removing the panel and then its a simple job. As for the warning light check your break fluid mate as this is a common thing.

Yeah it is most likely the brake fluid is low, I had this problem with my ZR. It drove me mad as I didn't understand why it kept coming on, only used to come on under hard acceleration though.

checked the pads and by my standards they do seem fairly low

any recomended places to buy pads from at reasonable prices?

im trying to figure out how to fit my alpine flip out dvd player at the moment

also, what years were facelifts brought in?

i have a 1995 model so i assume thats not a facelift

The pads don't have any direct connection to the light bud, I was laughing at the idea that they were ;)

When the pads wear they get pushed in closer to the discs, this in turn lowers the level of fluid left in the brake fluid reservoir. When it gets below a certain point the warning triangle comes on to make you aware that it is low. If the brake pads were at full, and the reservoir was near the minimum, and they were worn down to half way... the reservoir would dip below the minimum and the light would come on.

I always worry about servicing history when I see threads like this. It seems that people don't get their brake fluid topped up during services anymore, this should never happen unless there is a leak in the system (as long as servicing is done properly).

Facelift models were released 1996 mate. Yours won't be a facelift (check side markers/indicators to confirm)

yeah, i will take some today, it was owned by a person on this forum, by a lady up in newcastle i believe

LOL scott

i wasnt to know fella, but im glad i checked as they do need replacing soon and i will top up the brake fluid aswell :)

its got a hks mushroom filter on it which is no longer green

cheers for the help fellas, cant wait to meet you at a show :)