The mkiv Supra Owners Club

idle problem-might get rid of my supra!

Parry_10

well i officially hate my supra and im soo close to just giving up with it its just problem after problem so if this idle problem doesnt get sorted soon im getting rid of it!

the idle is fine when cold but when hot it idles too high around 1400rpm usually sometimes higher

so far ive:

removed the throttle body cleaned it up and the butterfly

removed the icv stripped it down and cleaned it up

when I take the hose off the icv and block the icv off with my finger the revs drop down to what seems normal....

also it has flagged up one fault code which is 51

heres the link- http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=13924&d=1112558346

if anyone can give me some more info on this fault code and how it could be causing my idle problem that would be good...

does anyone have any ideas im really losing my patience with this car now!

Edited by Parry_10 (see edit history)

just took the icv off again and its position has changed so im guessing the icv is fine as it is operating and must be getting a signal? need some more info on this code 51 and how it would cause idle issues if anyone has any knowledge on it cheers

Didn't coolant temp sensor cause funny idle conditions when it goes?

It certainly does Jay. I had that very same problem with my blue supra. The car overheated and the head ended up lifting off the gasket and I lost compression. The idle was rough as hell. I was checking everything else and before I knew it it cut out n wouldn't start again.

Cleaning the throttle body is prob the worst thing you could have done, if its worn at all that could now be your problem, Skylines do this a carbon deposit is what makes the seal on these worn throttles as soon as you clean them there is an air gap and it will never idle at the correct speed again.

Cleaning the throttle body is prob the worst thing you could have done, if its worn at all that could now be your problem, Skylines do this a carbon deposit is what makes the seal on these worn throttles as soon as you clean them there is an air gap and it will never idle at the correct speed again.

If it ides fine when cold I think it's highly unlikely that a worn throttle is to blame for his issue?

Also where does this carbon buildup occur, around the edge of the throttle butteryfly? And why carbon? Surely the intake is seeing pure air?

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

If it ides fine when cold I think it's highly unlikely that a worn throttle is to blame for his issue?

Also where does this carbon buildup occur, around the edge of the throttle butteryfly? And why carbon? Surely the intake is seeing pure air?

Just saying that cleaning throttles on skylines is a big no no, yes it should see clean air but when was the last time you saw a turbo car with a clean inlet ??? there is always oil and other crap, still obviously it won't be that so i'll bow out now and go fit the 2 skyline throttles that need replacing due to cleaning.

engine temperature is normal no overheating, and if it was an engine temp sensor or coolant temp sensor that would flag up the fault code for it wouldnt it? mine has only flagged up code 51

as for cleaning the throttle body/butterfly i was told to do that by a few people including chris wilson so thats the reason i did that

engine temperature is normal no overheating, and if it was an engine temp sensor or coolant temp sensor that would flag up the fault code for it wouldnt it? mine has only flagged up code 51

as for cleaning the throttle body/butterfly i was told to do that by a few people including chris wilson so thats the reason i did that

Does the ECU use the same sensor as the gauge? I always thought they used different sensors?

Just saying that cleaning throttles on skylines is a big no no, yes it should see clean air but when was the last time you saw a turbo car with a clean inlet ??? there is always oil and other crap, still obviously it won't be that so i'll bow out now and go fit the 2 skyline throttles that need replacing due to cleaning.

Are Skylines ITBs? So if it's the shaft that leaks on them they'd be suffering boost leaks too? Feckin Taxis ;)

yeh they do use different sensors im not really understanding what your trying to say? the guage is the one with 1 wire and the ecu is the one with 2 wires i believe

I'm trying to say your dash maybe showing a fine coolant temp, but your ECU could be seeing a messed up value which is causing it to send your ICV all over the place

ok is that the one sensor next to the gauge sensor? sits kind of above the alternator, also dont know if this has anything to do with it but when i put the heating on its never hot its only ever warm or cold...could a faulty coolant temp sensor cause this?

ok is that the one sensor next to the gauge sensor? sits kind of above the alternator, also dont know if this has anything to do with it but when i put the heating on its never hot its only ever warm or cold...could a faulty coolant temp sensor cause this?

sensor will not alter the heaters mate that would be down to a faulty thermostat or air lock.