The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Undersealing

jackso11

Right, never done this before but am going to underseal my supra as there was surface rust on a couple of sections that were pointed out at MOT, nothing serious but worth getting rid of. There is a lot of infor on here and stuff I found google-ing regarding underseal and waxoyl and from what I can find its best to Underseal the chasis and waxoyl cross members and cavities, not touching exhaust and other parts.

The question I have is how do people clean under there before doing the job? My car has no wheels and is on axel stands so a good time to do it, but how to start cleaning? I thought jet wash, but its not ideal to get under as its only 1.5ft off the ground and obviously I want it to be spotless before painting the stuff on.....then how do I dry it? leave it for days?

Also, on the surface rust, just brush it off clean and paint with rust protection then seal?

I am posting this with a useful title so people in future can search and find a good guide so any help would be much apprieciated.

Or a good company that does it, they seem to charge £450+vat for something that takes a day to do yourself and costs £20 (if you can dry your car somehow)

I done some work on my Sills the other week the previous owner jacked up on the sills and bent them, so i straightened them out and found a bit of rust. I used a drill mounted wire brush thingy to remove as much surface rust as i could, then used some hammerite Kurust which reacts with the rust to clear it .... Seemed to work really well...http://www.hammerite.co.uk/products/ps_kurust.html

I then sealed the area with Galvafroid paint then once that had set i protected the area with hammerite undersealer (looks like marmite)

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)