The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Reconditioned turbos and warranty claims

Chris Wilson

Mentioning no names I am having issues with a pair of turbos reconditioned by a well known turbo company. I have long suspected that it may be rare for a used turbo sent for examination to be considered sound and NOT in need of a rebuild, or for a turbo that has failed within the warranty period, not to have the cause declared, after inspection, of user error or oil contamination. Instead of idly considering this I am curious enough to ask for real world experiences. So how have YOU found a re-conditioner has reacted to a turbo that has failed within its warranty period?

You know my answer mate, same company as you used. Failure was caused by oil contamination. Has every engine got oil contamination?! What is oil contamination in there eyes? Wonder how they test it? How about you send a sample of the oil from the engine to the manufacturer for them to test it? If it's Motul I might be able to arrange that for you.

It's a typical warranty scam. As long as it doesn't cost too much money then warranty is accepted. If it is going to cost the repairer/manufacturer an arm and a leg then the fictitious excuses come out. I have similar problems in the pump industry, every pump has been run without water or has a site problem...!!:rolleyes:

H.

I also had a set of turbos reconditioned by a very well known company. I think it's the same company you use chris as I've heard you mention you always use these. They failed on me in a big way within the warranty period, I sent them back for inspection and they told me they wernt covered by the warranty as the oil was contaminated. They told me there was a ball of silicone stuck in the oil feed line holes. I argued blind that this wasn't possible because they were fitted with brand new Toyota gasket and I would have no reason to use silicone in such a way. They point blank refused to take any responsibility.

I couldn't be arsed with going through all the hassle of a small claims court so bought a second hand set and stuck them on.

Happens all the time in every industry. It's the same with the 2nd hand car warranty, they will fight tooth and nail not to carry out any expensive repairs. Everything is covered under "Wear and tear".

There are some companies that will stand by their warranties though. They may try to get out of it by giving a semi-plausible reason but if you have a decent retort they will often conceed and carry out the repairs. It would appear this company isn't one of them. The company I work for is ;)

Mine failed not long after buying the car, and after much hassle and inspection reports from the reconditioner, i got a £1000 back towards the rebuild costs. This was from the warranty people from when i bought the car though, glad i paid £250 for the extended warranty. About a year and a half later, one of them failed again. I phoned the garage who fitted/reconditioned them, and all they said was "without dismantaling the car/turbos ourselves we cannot tell you why its failed or whether we will repair it for free or charge you again". At £100 an hour this would have been another potentially costly repair.

Rather than risk another shoddy job i took the turbos of myself and had them reconditioned again by a very well known and professional local company. Admittedly they said only 1 had a problem, which they could not find out why as the bearing was too small, but had no signs of wear. They said in 30 years of trading they had never seen a problem like it. Anyhow, they changed the bearings again, machined the insides and fitted slightly larger steel blades and only charged me about £600 inc VAT. That was 5 years ago and still going strong

I dont know how the original company would have dealt with it but i just didnt fancy leaving the car with them again. AS for the local guys, cannot praise them enough and would recommend to anyone.

• 4 weeks later...