The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How many of you are driving binned cars?

Biguns

Check under the bonnet and door shuts for over spray. I nearly bought a corsa but noticed that when it had its crash the drivers door had hit the wing and left a notch in it. They had replaced the wing an there was visible overspray under the bonnet and it was still tacky !! Also some of the stuff under the bonnet didn't look right and the guy had only had the car a few weeks which was a little suspect.

I bet a lot of people wouldnt know.

Obvious stuff such as overspray, poor panel gaps, poor paintwork (colour differance, paint finish) masking lines round mirrors, door handles etc, new parts like washer bottles, headlamps, indictators. marks around washers where panels have been removed and refitted, same on door hinges. the list is endless

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

To be honest over spray isn't a definate sign, I have had mine blown over, so if you look closely in certain places you can see evidence of it.

They are 15 years old, so to keep a car you use regularly in top condition a blow over is necessary, especially with the amount of gravel on the roads due to the gapping holes everywhere

As DNK said parts that have been replaced, that you wouldn't expect to have been and panel gaps are always a tell tale sign, if it's not been modified bodywork wise

Overspray isnt a definite sign of accident damage but if its there its obvious the cars had paintwork done so then you look a bit closer to see why.

If you mask a car up properly you shouldn't get it in the first place

Yea, the quality of the work done in the repair is key - there's a few cars on here that have been stacked on the road, on the track, wherever, but have been repaired - I'd want to know before I bought it though, so it could be checked out properly beforehand (jig, alignment, etc).

• 9 months later...

I work in the automotive industry as a quality engineer for toyota projects.

Before buying my supra I checked everything down to the spot welds under the boot carpet, under the bonnet and along the door frames.

Best way I've found to check it hasn't had a serious smash...

Very difficult to tell unless you have a good knowledge of what to look for (mentioned above).

I previously had a Cat C Type R, The guy who collected spent 2 hours trying to find evidence of repair! He couldn't & without me telling him or the car being accident registered he wouldn't have been able to tell.

Mine was a Cat C recently, but has had a new bumper and bonnet fitted with new lights. Both the bonnet and bumper were already in Silver, so there was no spraying. New active spoiler and blam, out the door.

It was binned because the official quote for an active spoiler is just over £3,000, not to mention the bumper and bonnet dents to be hammered out, so I don't reckon you can really judge without knowing the extent of the damage which led to the writeoff. My engine is running perfectly, and the crash didn't even damage the rad.

ive had a few cat ds, not an issue, the repair centre by does propper jobs on repairs. they have a cat c 360 challange in at the moment and id have no issue buying it from them. its basicly a brand new car now . but again , thats because thy do a propper job. nfor instance the front crash bars were bent so itts had a complete frame from the bulkhead fited on a hired original ferrari jig. awsome job