The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacing rear Jspac caliper

a98pmalcolm

Two 14 mm head size bolts hold the calipers to the sliding pins. A 14 mm head size banjo bolt holds the fluid pipe union to the back of the calipers. A 10 mm head size bleed nipple is used to bleed the calipers. Dozens of J-Spec calipers are scrapped because people over tighten the bleed nipple and split the caliper casting itself. They merely need nipping up!!!! If you make sure the caliper piston is pushed fully into the casting before fitting it will bleed easier and faster and waste less fluid.

Most true race fluids are DOT 3 or DOT 4. The DOT number is mainly based on water absorption over time. Race fluid gets changed regularly, so water absorption is pretty much irrelevant. they are only interested in dry boiling point. For example, Castrol SRF is an F1 level, top end race fluid, that's VERY expensive, yet is only rated DOT 3 / DOT 4 as it has poor ability not absorbing atmospheric moisture over time, but has a VERY high dry (uncontaminated fluid) boiling point.

Well went to fit the caliper today and it as the wrong one :( so gotta take it back and wee that they can get ...It seemed the same in the box from non piston side. Look at the difference:

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/4364/20110327002.jpg

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8523/20110327003.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3280/20110327004n.jpg

Wonder what caliper its for?

P.s: Bleeding went well, 1st time ive doen it. Bought this bleed kit from Halfords for a fiver. Came with the pot, 1 way valve pipe and worked a charm!

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

Just the one caliper scott as this one is sticking mate.

Other seems ok, If i get problems i will change the other,thanks for the advice pal :)

Test it VERY carefully.

You will have one VERY slick and FULLY biting caliper on the rear quarter, vs 3 slightly, sticky slightly gungy, used and worn biting calipers around the other corners.

Think about it bud, the rear corner braking harder and faster than the rest of the 3 corners when you are at speed.

I'm not saying it will be a problem, just that it could be a VERY serious problem VERY quickly, I don't want to see any "I've binned my car" or worse threads due to not being informed. Tread carefully at first just to make sure :)