The mkiv Supra Owners Club

mph/kph miles kilometers converter

TRD DAN

anyone recomend a good unit (think thor was the one to have ) , getting a car from ireland and would like to convert it once i have it home , also anyway of converting dash kilometers to miles inc numbers , as it one of them things that will nag me :p pm me if not wanting to post it

cheers in advance

dan

Plug and play, you get 180mph and 300kph display and is compatible with active spoiler and cruise functions.

I really don't know why folks $#@! about with converters that $#@! about and cost more than a real one!

You would still need a converter, the ECU would be sending a KPH feed to the clocks so the mph would actually be the kph and the kph would not be anything. You need the converter there to give the correct reading whatever clock you have on the end.

You would still need a converter, the ECU would be sending a KPH feed to the clocks so the mph would actually be the kph and the kph would not be anything. You need the converter there to give the correct reading whatever clock you have on the end.

The speed sensor sends a pulsed signal to the speedo clock. This signal represents the number of hub revolutions per second, not mph, kph or anything like that. Presumably a UK car would have a speedo that decodes this "revs per second" signal into mph not kph. The speedo then passes the signal to the odometer unit which uses it to keep a running total of distance travelled. There is a modification that can be made to the odo unit that means it counts in miles, not kilometres (but as David said, this would give a total of a mixture of miles and kms unless the count-so-far was adjusted).

The ECU then receives the signal from the odo, and uses it to control things like the top speed limit, Progressive Power Steering, possibly the active spoiler etc etc.

I think David's idea would work (maybe he's done it already?) if a UK speedo cluster was used. The odometer modification is optional: if you don't do it the odo will continue to count in kms.

• 1 month later...
The speed sensor sends a pulsed signal to the speedo clock. This signal represents the number of hub revolutions per second, not mph, kph or anything like that. Presumably a UK car would have a speedo that decodes this "revs per second" signal into mph not kph. The speedo then passes the signal to the odometer unit which uses it to keep a running total of distance travelled. There is a modification that can be made to the odo unit that means it counts in miles, not kilometres (but as David said, this would give a total of a mixture of miles and kms unless the count-so-far was adjusted).

The ECU then receives the signal from the odo, and uses it to control things like the top speed limit, Progressive Power Steering, possibly the active spoiler etc etc.

I think David's idea would work (maybe he's done it already?) if a UK speedo cluster was used. The odometer modification is optional: if you don't do it the odo will continue to count in kms.

That's a great explanation, stevie!

so if I understand it right, i don't need any converter if I just install a MPH speedo clock instead of the Jspec Kph speedo. - and thats it?

the thing is that i purchased a jspec supra which was driven in the UK and has now a OEM MPH tach. (must have been installed in the UK during the time it was driven there)

so if I now want to go back to KPH i just have to install a KPH speedo clock?

what if I install a TRD 320 KPH speedo clock? does that work as the OEM JSPEC tach did just count until 180 KPH......

sorry for my questions but I'm a newby when it comes to these things - here in austria nobody got ever in touch with these things.... :)

Regards, Herbert

Ask away Herbert, that's what this forum is for. :)

That's a great explanation, stevie!

so if I understand it right, i don't need any converter if I just install a MPH speedo clock instead of the Jspec Kph speedo. - and thats it?

Quite possibly. I've never tried it like that because I've never had a UK speedo clock, but logically it could/should work.

the thing is that i purchased a jspec supra which was driven in the UK and has now a OEM MPH tach. (must have been installed in the UK during the time it was driven there)

so if I now want to go back to KPH i just have to install a KPH speedo clock?

Yes, probably.

what if I install a TRD 320 KPH speedo clock? does that work as the OEM JSPEC tach did just count until 180 KPH......

The TRD speedo clock will probably work as you want (again, no guarantees because I've never used one).