The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre Choice for BPU Supra - Toyo R888 vs Bridgestone RE11 or RE11S

Samurai 20V

Probably overkill for BPU IMO.

Not at all. Very flippant comment that.

Tyres are your only contact with the road, so get the ones you have the most confidence in. R888's need temperature, the others probably don't. Read the reviews around, see what you think. I'd not go with R888's though, until the weather warms up...

Tyres are your only contact with the road, so get the ones you have the most confidence in. R888's need temperature, the others probably don't. Read the reviews around, see what you think. I'd not go with R888's though, until the weather warms up...

I added more to what I posted. May make more sense now.

Not really... But it's a post.

Ok, well it seems like a good compromise to me.

Either tyres that are great in the dry but sh!t in the wet or tyres that are great in both. At BPU some Goodyear F1s or something would be sufficient..

Ok, well it seems like a good compromise to me.

Either tyres that are great in the dry but sh!t in the wet or tyres that are great in both. At BPU some Goodyear F1s or something would be sufficient..

You've missed two things. Michelin Pilot Sports. Brilliant tyre in all conditions - and you've not gone BPU, yet...

I think josh's point is valid. Way overkill IMO

At the strip My bpu runs random 255 cooper tyres that were on the stock rims when I got them. Nothing special at all and I dont have traction problems hooking up at all after a good burnout.

My normal rims for road use also run 255 tyres (toyo tr1s) and the rears will spin in first when the 2nd turbo comes on when they are cold. I'd be fine if I had wider rears.

There is just no need for a semi slick road tyre for a bpu car. Your going to pay a lot of money for a short lasting tyre that you won't see any benefit of. And it's going to be useless in the wet. If you want better cornering on the track. Fine. But I wouldn't bother paying a grand on rubber for a few times you might go to the track when road tires will give you just as much fun. Unless your entering competitive racing...

I'd have to disagree - I run 275's on mine and I can get a good squirm from the rears with the TC off in 2nd and a chirp in 3rd - thats with Michelin's and with Eagle's. I always get the best tyres I can.

But do you only drive in the dry? If you do then that's fair enough. If you drive in the wet too then an all weather tyre would probably be best I'd have thought.

Hi guys.. As above what would be the best tyre? My usage is the occasional track day/drag strip and some street usage.

The Toyo and Re11 are similarly priced, the RE11S is a touch more expensive. I understand that the RE111 is quite a good street/track tyre.

Opinions?

Are you wanting just a dry weather tyre?

You could go with one of the soft compound grippy dry weather tyres you mention but it'll be badly compromised in the wet.

If you are going to be using the car in all weathers then I would go for a good quality all round road tyre, it won't give you quite as much grip on dry roads but it will be competent on wet roads. You could then perhaps have a spare set of stock wheels and dry competition tyres for track days.

The other thing to consider if you're using the car on a day to day basis is wear, a soft compound dry weather tyre will wear a lot quicker.

I'd have to disagree - I run 275's on mine and I can get a good squirm from the rears with the TC off in 2nd and a chirp in 3rd - thats with Michelin's and with Eagle's. I always get the best tyres I can.

Manual I assume? There is no way bpu spins mine in 3rd lol. Mine stays planted all the way through the rev range in 2nd on the auto. 18", 255/40 (might be 35), hsd coilovers. A Fast road alignment.

Maybe another advantage to auto :)

Manual I assume? There is no way bpu spins mine in 3rd lol. Mine stays planted all the way through the rev range in 2nd on the auto. 18", 255/40 (might be 35), hsd coilovers. A Fast road alignment.

Maybe another advantage to auto :)

Yea, manual matey. 275/35/18 :)

totaly agree tyres imo the most important factor once you are dealing with 200+hp, i have experimented with all makes and for example the difference tween top of the range khumo ecsta 31 and hankook ventus was heart stopping, a bad tyre choice can literily kill you, my 1st choice would be goodyear eagle f1 asymetric

Johnny raises some good points here :)

IMO, always go for the gripiest that meet your useage requirements. If you're not driving in the wet/cold weather and garage it during the winter (or remove the tyre's) then something R888's or Michelen pilot cup sports will be a great choice. They won't do wet weather and can degrade in the cold, but if you're only using it as a summer/track car that's not going to be an issue.

From previous reading the RE11 is a bit more balanced for street use and feedback seems to suggest they are a bit more useful in the wet weather.

Michelen pilot sports are about the same as the Good year F1's, certainly not a touch compared to the cup version of the pilot's. The two are as far apart as R888's and F1's.

Hi Chaps.. Thanks for all the replies.

Just to answer some of the questions,

The above tyres were for dry weather only. I planned to use the tyres on my OEM 17inch, solely for race days(track and drag) and for the occasional blast on the street.

I have my eye on a set of 19inch with normal road tyres for normal street use.

I was planning to use 275/40/17 at the rear and 245/40/17 at the front, my car has lowering springs (unsure of brand) and OEM shocks.

I've had plenty of tyres with plenty of set ups, I had 315 35 18 r888's with bpu and they lasted about 2 months through the summer and were actually dangerous on normal roads in the wet and cold mornings, a perfect tyre for track days and sprints, I'd never get them for normal road use again and for the costs!

Toyo t1's were prob the best all rounder in my experience, over the years with a 400+ bhp bpu auto car.

I ran t1's 295 35 18's on the rears, which were ultimately the best for grip, cost and multiple use.

I've had loads if mitchelin pilot sports etc and nothing really came close to the Toyo t1's, I'm just trying the falken 452's and 1's at the moment with my single build and in the dry they seem spot on so far, just a bit nuts in the wet.... But that's the choice when going single, to many ponies.....lol

Given freedom of choice as a dry weather track day tyre the R888 is far too soft a compound, and a very mediocre performer at best. No comparison with Pirelli Trofeos, Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (CUPS is the operative word) or Dunlop DZ03G's. You get what you pay for, and all of the ones I list are a lot dearer than R888's. None are at all suitable for an every day car used in the cold and wet.