The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how hard to drive in wet, ice, snow?

Guest farnell182

Guest farnell182

being RWD alot of people have said a supra will be a death trap in bad weather conditions, which i understand especially with that much power behind them wheels, bu how hard to drive/control are they? drivable? or best to keep in the garage over winter?

That's a very subjective question. I've never had any squeeky bum moments in the Supra, but I am a cautious driver when the conditions require restraint. The accelerator seems to be used as a switch by most, heard a lot of "When the 2nd turbo came in the back end just slid out" comments leading me to believe that the owner was giving it some stick when the conditions didn't permit. Afterall, what would you be doing up at 4krpm if just driving normally?

As long as you have grip to physically move the car, you should have no more problems in the Supra than any other car. The fact that you can steer independantly from the power should make it more controllable in the worst of conditions.

i went in the snow just for the fun of it to see how it handled. To be honest it was fine aslong as you dont do anything stupid!

When the back end did come out it was very smooth and gently a bit like being in slow motion.

TBH its worse when you get the tail out in the dry because its more violent and you have to be much quicker to catch it as your driving at alot of leptons.

I've driven mine in the snow. But I had no other option. Now we have 2 cars. One of which is 4x4 it stays on the drive in the snow. If it's frosty on the road in the morning just be carefull. If it's wet it's fine unless your being stupid. Or skimping on tyres, have stupid rims or bad geo setup

yeah its when you stop that is the problem. I was reversing off my mums drive in the snow and she came out and called me to stop for something or other......car stuck half in the road and half on the drive for an hour. Auto + Snow = Very difficult to get moving

yeah its when you stop that is the problem. I was reversing off my mums drive in the snow and she came out and called me to stop for something or other......car stuck half in the road and half on the drive for an hour. Auto + Snow = Very difficult to get moving

Put t'handbrake on a couple of clicks and youd have been away no probs :)

It's fine as long as you're careful. I lifted the clutch too quickly in 2nd going round an island (more of a bend as I was going 2nd exit, about 1/3 of the way round the island) at about 25mph and the back slid out a bit. Very easy to control, just let off the throttle a bit and it straightened up without any issues at all. The road was wide and empty so I don't think I'd have gone so quickly if it were busy.

I was on flat ground in my auto in the snow and as soon as R was selected just wheel spin..... real slowwwwwwwwwwwwww

I managed to get out of my parking spot at work and ventured out of the car park and onto the snow covered roads... turned back and left it at work.

Did not like the auto in the snow at all

I was on flat ground in my auto in the snow and as soon as R was selected just wheel spin..... real slowwwwwwwwwwwwww

I managed to get out of my parking spot at work and ventured out of the car park and onto the snow covered roads... turned back and left it at work.

Did not like the auto in the snow at all

You know if you put your foot on the brake. Then put it in R then release the brake gently you will move. Works in D aswell! :)

i have and auto and found it fine in wet/ice/snow over winter

drive with respect to the car you will be fine, be heavy on the load pedal and she will bite you. but that dont mean you have to act like a funeral car driven by the towns eldest

Auto was terrible, I had 2 lads trying to push it up the hill with no joy and had to get some spare carpet and towels under the rears just to make it over a speed bump even with 2 brand new 265 Falkens. Ended up putting it in 2nd with the O/D off as suggested on here and it worked a bit.

Luckily mine was a weekend car, but I got caught out in the snow in my auto TT, no issues.

You just need to drive according to the conditions, just be VERY light on the pedals and smooth turning of the steering and not rush yourself when turning in or pulling out. Even though auto and wide tyres are the two worst things in the snow, it handled pretty well.

:)

You just need to drive according to the conditions, just be VERY light on the pedals and smooth turning of the steering and not rush yourself when turning in or pulling out. Even though auto and wide tyres are the two worst things in the snow, it handled pretty well.

:yeahthat:

Just be careful, and it will be fine. Get a spare set of stock wheels with good tyres, and stick something heavy in the boot.