The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RSR - it's outrageous!

Chase

Picked up my RSR yesterday at JAE - Supplied by Paul E and babysat by Faye and Keith for me. Thanks guys :thumbs:

Got home, got the car on the ramps and fitted it straight away.

It sounds really sweet:music: ...and then I flicked the ETTC switch into parallel mode, and it's outrageously loud :eek: It's really gonna upset the neighbours...but never mind :D

During the test drive I noticed the car was a bit hesitant at high revs/boost - hitting 1.1 bar now with front cat out. Pretty sure it wasn't fuel cut as no warning lights came on...

Gonna try a few more test runs later.

I've got a couple of restrictor rings to stick in if I start having problems.

Originally posted by Chase

During the test drive I noticed the car was a bit hesitant at high revs/boost - hitting 1.1 bar now with front cat out. Pretty sure it wasn't fuel cut as no warning lights came on...

Did it feel like a soft cut, just being held back?

What spark plugs do you have in?

Steve - It felt like a soft cut. I booted it, and somewhere around 6K i felt as though I moved forward in the seat - There was definitely some misfiring when the boost got over 1 bar...

Don't know what plugs are in, but I'm assuming they are standard, as it was a standard car when I got it.

I took it out again last night to try again. The boost gauge went round to just under 1.2 bar. I didn't feel the same hesitation - but - I was being a bit more cautious myself. Could it be that the ECU has got used to the increased boost by now and has re-adjusted itself?

I thinking I'm going to fit the restrictor ring I've got, and getting some Denso IK22's.

I feel a bit nervous taking it over 1 bar - The car's overdue a belt change and don't want to break anything.

Cheers

Hi Chase, sounds like the plugs are giving up. Stock plugs usually have trouble about 1 bar.

IK22's are probably not cold enough, IK24 will be better. There is lots of onfo about this in the archives.

You are getting to the stage were you need to get the fueling checked out. Changing the plugs and getting higher boost may unveil other problems.

Cheers Steve,

Just been reading some posts about similar situations and was also just looking at Thor's dynoing rates :D

Was a bit unsure about IK22s or 24s. Although there's been mention of potential cold starting problems with the 24s, I think I'll give them a go - I've never had any problems starting from cold.

I'm gonna stick the restrictor ring in until I can get a dyno run sorted. Paul R showed me his readouts and the info that's obtainable seems pretty damn good.

I'll start tracking down a deal on the 24s asap :D

Cheers