The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi everybody, new from France

Guest Supratony05

Guest Supratony05

Hi everybody :) My name is Anthony, I'm graphic designer and I live at Toulon in the south of France :)

In a first time, sorry for my english :D I hope you will understand what I say :D

I come in your forum because your are the biggest Supra community in UK ;)

I need your help ;) I hope find replies at my questions.

I explain me :

In december I have bought a Supra in UK, I went search them, I am arrived in France, and here, problems begin...

Tires differents, frame rusty, interior rusty (behind speedometer, and under the plastic of gearbox).

I precise that the Supra is a GZ Twin-Turbo aerotop 94

So I must have LSD, and no LSD on mine :blink:

I must have cruise control too, but I have it in the engine but no command in the interior of car, so I can't use it :(

After, I see some invoices :

- 2700 GBP on engine in january 2010

- 4x rear Falken tyres in 3 month :blink:

And on my V5, the first registration date is may 2004, the same that import date... I don't know the real day of first registration, I know just that it is in september 93 :(

And the worst thing, I have done a HPI check for have more informations and, my registration plates are for a SZ Manual without aerotop :wtf:

I don't understand nothing about my Supra, and my frame identification is AJPZZ, so a real GZ...

The seller said me that tyres are good, and in France I have seen it :

Very good for drive it in Paris on the snow...

I can't change it because I am in France, but I would like know more about it, see if you know a previous owner...

My registration plate L604 YRP

Pictures

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/184848_1763994334872_1089510481_1983394_3283462_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/185838_1763992854835_1089510481_1983390_8029647_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/69766_1647204975211_1089510481_1744931_8207053_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/69766_1647205055213_1089510481_1744933_7137611_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180835_1709932903370_1089510481_1885580_4405139_n.jpg

Old picture from the UK Seller (Platinium Autos)

http://www.motorbase.com/uploads/candc/2010/10/28/fs_1662364.jpg

I hope someone know something about it and about its past.

Thanks for all :)

Edited by Supratony05 (see edit history)

Guest Supratony05

Thanks Josh :) Yes I have contacted the seller, the only thing that I have obtained it is the free shipping of the original wheels in France, because I have not taken these when I was in UK, because the trunk is little in the Supra, so do 1000 mile with 4 wheels in the trunk...

When I want to know who was the precedent owner, or a contact, no reply, it is easy for him when your are in an other country :(

Some other picts :

Edited by Supratony05 (see edit history)

Welcome Anthony, I remember seeing this car up for sale on Piston Heads a few months ago, selling through Platinum Autos. But I'm not aware of anyone on the club as to owning it before them. Parts of that car are shocking, and I don't understand what's going on with the HPI check either :( It's terrible that your in France so it's hard to sort out. But you've come to a good place, so hopefully somebody on here will be able to help you.

By the way your English, spelling and grammar is pretty good :)

Okay, lets set a few things straight:

1) The rusty underneath of the car is not that unusual for a car that's been in the UK for a long time, nothing specific to worry about there so long as it's not penetrated (would be pretty rare as the body is galvanised).

2) The rust behind the dash board is also common, especially on aero tops, the parts are not treated and rust with even slight exposure to moisture, it's only surface rust so nothing to worry about

3) The cruise control is fitted to the car (you can see the twin wires on the engine photo), do you have a 4 spoke stock wheel? If not then you won't have the cruise button as it's on the side of the steering wheel.

4) The registration dates are very often wrong on these cars, especially early imports. The DVLA kept using the import date as the registration date rather than Manf date. There's quite a number of Supra's on this forum with this error.

5) The HPI check won't be all that useful and I am surprised they know about SZ/RZ, etc, They normally don't specify this. It is also one area that is very frequently incorrectly documented. Did the rest of the HP check work out - i.e. match the V5 dates, mileage, etc?

6) How do you know it's not got an LSD?

7) The service invoice looks made up.

The tyre's are shocking though!!! No excuse for this and platinum auto's should be shot for selling a car with a tyre like that...

If you send me the full VIN plate details (via PM), I can cross check some info here... Also, if you have previous copies of the MOT, send the MOT test number from the form.

man I feel for you, could it not be possible that the car started out life as a N/a auto aero without lsd, and has had a TT conversion. This could explain your lack of lsd, this could explain the huge bill on the engine to. Although this does not explain your frame identification, but would explain the reg plate. sorry i couldn't be more help :(

welcome to the club anyway i hope some one will be able to shed some light on the car for you. :)

Guest Supratony05

Many thanks Homer it is very nice :) Ok for the rust.

For the HPI Check it is not written SZ but it is written 201 BHP and 0/60mph in 8sec. I can send it to you in email if you can send me your email adress. For tyres, the two back tyres was like this, and the two front tyres are new, but different brand !!! And the man ship me my stock wheels in 16'', I have received them 2 weeks ago, with 4 new tyres, 3 Nankang and 1 Federal... I will search this evening all informations about MOT in my papers.

For LSD, we have put the car on metal candles (I don't know if it is the good word XD) and when we turn one wheel, the other turn in other direction. It is not the good method for see it ?

Thanks thanks thanks again :D

Guest Supratony05

Thanks Ripped fear :) I don't understand why it should be possible that the car was a SZ because my engine plate is AJPZZ and 2JZ-GTE :(

For my steering wheel, I have only 3 spoke, I have the SZ steering wheel I think :(

Picture :

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/181539_1730968709252_1089510481_1925565_4660976_n.jpg

I have painted my dashboard in grey :) because on the old dashboard it was false carbon sticker, with bubbles everywhere :(

Many thanks Homer it is very nice :) Ok for the rust.

For the HPI Check it is not written SZ but it is written 201 BHP and 0/60mph in 8sec. I can send it to you in email if you can send me your email adress. For tyres, the two back tyres was like this, and the two front tyres are new, but different brand !!! And the man ship me my stock wheels in 16'', I have received them 2 weeks ago, with 4 new tyres, 3 Nankang and 1 Federal... I will search this evening all informations about MOT in my papers.

For LSD, we have put the car on metal candles (I don't know if it is the good word XD) and when we turn one wheel, the other turn in other direction. It is not the good method for see it ?

Thanks thanks thanks again :D

Sounds like some duff info on the HPI report, they don't normally contain that sort of info!

The Diff is a Torson LSD, so will not lock up when the car is raised, it is normal for it to act like an open diff when there is no Torque going through the wheels :) I bet it does have the LSD as everything else about the car shows it as a GZ. BTW, metal candles = axle stands (I asked my French mate, he knew what you meant :D )

The steering wheel has been changed for the 3 spoke model (not specifically SZ as it was used on all supras). You need the 4 spoke wheel to get the cruise back.

Send the HPI report to homer at mkivsupra.net

The full VIN details and MOT number will really help find some history on this car if you can locate those.

man I feel for you, could it not be possible that the car started out life as a N/a auto aero without lsd, and has had a TT conversion. This could explain your lack of lsd, this could explain the huge bill on the engine to. Although this does not explain your frame identification, but would explain the reg plate. sorry i couldn't be more help :(

welcome to the club anyway i hope some one will be able to shed some light on the car for you. :)

It's not a conversion, quite a few signs show it as a genuine GZ

Guest Supratony05

Thanks Homer I have sent you the email with HPI check and my V5 too. This evening at home I will search more papers :) Again thanks

Got your emails so can give some feedback...

1) The HPI is all clear, nothing to worry about there :)

2) The details page HPI have supplied is for a MKIII supra :rolleyes: Best to ignore it, probably human error on their part

3) The V5 is looking all good, they've just used the registration date in the UK as the first registered date (very common mistake by DVLA, best ignored

4) The chassis number ties correctly to a GZ manufactured in Sep 93.