The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do all supra's have LSD?

Biguns

SZ, RZ autos ('93-'96) and the RZ-S models were all 'optional LSD'.

RZ 6 speeds, GZ, SZ-R and RZ-S 6 speeds were all 'Torsen LSD'.

Follow this guide to check what your car is against your VIN plate:-

Model Country E E (1978 compliant chassis), GF (1998 compliant chassis), R (Export UK spec)

Chassis Code JZA80 JZA80 (Toyota Supra Mkiv)

Model Code A A (Supra Mkiv)

Body Type L J (Liftback with aero roof), L (Liftback)

Gearbox Type M F (6 speed Getrag manual), M (5 speed manual), P (4 speed automatic)

Body Grade V Q (RZ), S (SZR), V (SZ or RZS), Z (GZ)

Engine Type F F (EFI & DOHC), Z (EFI & DOHC & TT)

ENGINE Example Description

Engine Type 2JZ 2JZ (Twin Cam 24 Valve 2997cc straight 6)

Aspiration TypeGE GTE (Twin Turbo), GE (Naturally Aspirated)

Engine Capacity (cc) 2997 2997cc (Capacity of straight 6 2JZ engine)

FRAME NO. Example Description

Frame Type JZA80 JZA80 (Mkiv Supra chassis, twin A-arms, coil over shock)

Frame Number 0022879 7 digit chassis number (001010-0041000, 1000000-1005857)

COLOR & TRIM Example Description

Paint Colors 3L2 Super White II (040), Silver Metallic (199), Dark Brown Gray Mica Metallic (1A1), Quick Silver Metallic Graphite (1B9), Black (202), Super Red IV (3L2), Super Bright Yellow (576), Grayish Green Mica Metallic (6N0), Dark Green Mica Metallic (6P3), Deep Teal Metallic (752), Blue Mica Metallic (8L5)

Interior Trim FC20 Front Cloth Seats (FA, FC, FF), Front Recaro Seats (FB, FK, FL), Front Leather Seats (LC, LE, LF, LG), Black Plastic Trim (20), Dark Gray Plastic Trim(21)

TRANSMISSION Example Description

Transmission W58 W58 (Toyota 5 speed manual), A340E (4 speed auto), A343E (4 speed auto), V160/V161 (Getrag 6 speed manual)

AXLE Example Description

Crown Wheel Size A A (8'' - 200mm), B (8.7'' - 220mm)

Differential Ratio 01 01 (4.083:1), 02 (3.769:1), 03 (3.267:1), 04 (3.538:1), 05 (4.083:1)

Differential Type A A (Standard open differential), B (Torsen LSD), D (Torsen LSD)

PLANT Example Description

Plant Number A22 Production location and line (A21-A26, M21-M22)

:)

Edited by James (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

I really should just check what my VIN says. I tried the 'does it leave an 11 or a 1' method and ended up with a 1, but I'm not sure if that was just down to the surface or not. No matter, I'll find out eventually!

so would it be worth getting the one up? as I am going NA-T or will what i have do? I know for 500bhp and up you have to replace it with something stronger

Big Case Diff? I believe they are quite difficult to find, that would be a B03B I think.

You could always just see how the A02B copes with the power, and if it goes then get a new one, if not there's also Kazz LSD's avaliable, and another brand that make an aftermarket one that I can't remember

I've got an A01B diff fitted to mine (Torsen LSD), any idea how those hold up to power?

A01B will be fine for quite a few ponies, I ran one of these on a BPU NA-TT and coupled with the W58, the acceleration was awesome :D

so would it be worth getting the one up? as I am going NA-T or will what i have do? I know for 500bhp and up you have to replace it with something stronger

An A02B would be ideal for around that power level. Wouldn't cause you any issues.

Quite a few cars in Japan have been swapped to the A02B to provide greater acceleration with the V160/V161 due to its 3.769:1 ratio.

With my old NA-TT W58 5 speed, the A01A 4.083:1 open diff (mental acceleration :) ) packed in and I changed it to an A02B. It was great and served me well! :)

Guest Eddie_r32

Sorry to ask a question that a search will show up but its just getting confusing! I have a sz auto and would like a LSD and better acceleration, what diff can I fit!

Thanks

Sorry to ask a question that a search will show up but its just getting confusing! I have a sz auto and would like a LSD and better acceleration, what diff can I fit!

Thanks

The direct swap LSD diff that you can put into an SZ is the A01B. It is a 4.083:1 ratio TorSen diff. This ratio is the same as the A01A open diff that you currently have.

If you were to fit an A02B (commonly found in the TT Auto), it has a 3.769:1 ratio which - theoretically - gives less acceleration, though you may find that you have better traction. To fit the A02B, you need to change the prop flange for mating to your gearbox as it won't go straight on. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Theres a mkivsupra nz website (I cant seem to find it). It has all the diff spec's and codes for model depending.

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

thanks for the help guys much appreciated, one last thing, iv read that some people swop out the internals of a manual cars diff with the internals of a auto cars diff or they just swop the diffs all together because apparently they get better acceleration from a manual with a auto diff I think it was? does this apply with the supra's as well? Im pretty sure i read that you loose some top speed but you gain on the acceleration of the vehicle?