The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What to do? (thinking of selling my car!)

RobD

Well as some know I've got a TT engine for my NA and I've recently bought a single kit for this.

Now, I'm starting to have doubts on what to do, I can stick to the original plan of putting the engine and a 6-speed box into my NA (note, with no ABS or Traction Control) or sell for an NA6 or a TT auto!

Weighing up the options and covering all areas it would seem right to sell my NA and buy a TT auto! Firstly as I've got the engine and I want to go 6speed, I could sell the engine and auto box, prop, diff etc as a conversion to cover costs of the 6speed and fit the engine with single kit to it at the same time!

This way, I'll get all of the luxurys like trac and abs, I'm thinking of going syvecs now so would like launch control etc! Plus when it comes to sell it won't be a Na-TT it'll just be a Auto to manual conversion!

Also, it wouldn't matter if the TT auto needs a bit of bodywork sorting as I'm planning on going for a full ridox kit including front and rear arches, so the front end will be replaced anyway so that could help finding a tt auto in the price range I was thinking (£4k).

Only thing is I'm REALLY attached to my car, also I've spent quite a lot of money on it already before it's even saw a TT engine :(

So I'm kinda stuck on what to do, ATM I reckon my NA would fetch anywhere between 3-3.5k so if I add another 1k on top I could get a TT Auto, this would save me spending 2.5k on a 6speed conversion, plus get me abs/trac etc

What's peoples thoughts on this?

It's a shame ABS is such an arse to retro fit...:(

I was in the same sort of position just converted my na to tt bpu and i had spent quite abit on getting the car to look how i wanted etc and i know if i just sold it and went and bought a tt it would have been alot less hastle and cheaper but i wouldnt appritiate it half as much, just dont rush into anything and think about it

Stock traction control is useless so you might as well knock that off your list, but ABS would be a big pull towards getting a different car in the first place. If you're going single and want *proper* traction control/launch control that which comes with the Syvecs, it will need a car with ABS hubs so it can get a wheel speed sensor reading.

In your situation I'd be more tempted to sell up and buy a TT6, it'll more make finanical sense in the long run.

Your getting confused Brendan, i'm thinking of selling the NA to buy a TT auto and selling the TT auto's engine and gearbox to fund the 6speed, ive already got a TT engine with a single kit :)

Seems a bit backwards mate, does the replacement engine have aftermarket parts (pistons, bolts, cams, etc)? The cost of messing around with all those parts, especially when you factor in the required diff change and labour costs, make a TT6 more cost effective?

Stock traction control is useless so you might as well knock that off your list, but ABS would be a big pull towards getting a different car in the first place. If you're going single and want *proper* traction control/launch control that which comes with the Syvecs, it will need a car with ABS hubs so it can get a wheel speed sensor reading.

In your situation I'd be more tempted to sell up and buy a TT6, it'll more make finanical sense in the long run.

Ive already got a TT engine that i dont want to get rid of as i've stripped it down and know by the time its back together its going to be 100%. So thats the reason for a TT auto :)

Seems a bit backwards mate, does the replacement engine have aftermarket parts (pistons, bolts, cams, etc)? The cost of messing around with all those parts, especially when you factor in the required diff change and labour costs, make a TT6 more cost effective?

I can do all the work myself, stripping install etc, so labour costs wont matter. its just the single kit side of things i'm going to pay for, thats where RyanG/Di come into it :)

Also the replacement engine has been fully stripped, new valve stem seals, head cleaned and skimmed, block has been decked and the bottom end is having ACL bearings and arp rod bolts and head studs, with new oil pump, water pump etc :)

I can't make sense of your logic Rob, but either way it's definetely best to start with a car that has ABS (needed for Syvecs traction and launch control), retrofitting that is the stuff of nightmares!

Buying a TT auto:

+ £5500 buying a TT auto

- £3000 selling your NA

- £1500 selling auto TT engine

+ £2800 buying 6spd kit

= £3800

Buying a TT6

+ £7500 buying a TT6

- £3000 selling your NA

- £1500 selling your spare TT engine/or the one from the TT6

= £3000

My thinking was,

TT Auto

+£4500, like i said, i dont mind if it has bodywork that needs attention

-£3000 for the NA

-£2300 for the TT auto's engine,loom,ecu, gearbox, prop diff etc etc

+£2800 for 6 speed

=£2000

that black uk tt in ireland would be a good basis to start with and damn cheap,unless its sold.

It was cheap, but even if I was to strip the engine and drivetrain out, the chassis/ suspension has seen alot of miles :(

isnt there a tt6 for sale on the forum now for not a lot of money that has had a light bump in the front.

i'm not going to start looking until after my hols in july, gives me time to make up my mind and gives me another years NCB before insuring a TT if thats what i was to do :)