The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What coilovers are you running?

marcAB10

Ive tried a few different setups.

RSR's

Tein flex

Tein SS

CW kit

For a street car I like the Tein flex the best out of that lot and run them on my car now, they give a nice ride, firm but not over hard, being bottom adjustable they give good height adjustment without having to compress the spring further.

I've been through:

TRD dampers with TRD springs

TRD dampers with Espelir springs

Megan Racing Adjustable Coilovers

HSD Adjustable Coilovers

Both TRD setups were rock solid and rattled the life out of me. They were also crazy low and not adjustable like other TRD shockers I have seen. I opted for the espelir springs to hopefully bring it up a notch but it made next to no difference. I then went for the megan racing coilovers, these were much better. Very nice feel to them on the road, and with the damping set around midway they were liveable. As with all adjustable coilovers they are quite stiff but they weren't as hard as I expected, and nowhere near as hard as the TRD setup I had before. I just got the HSDs for the hell of it really, an offer came up and I went for it. They are very similar in feel to the Megan coilovers but they seem a lot more solid when you have them in your hands. Everything just feels bigger and more solid, they are slightly heavier due to this though.

I have literally just taken them out of the maximum soft position (running them in) so I haven't given them a right good pasting yet, but initial reports are good :D

Yellow Bilsteins + Eibach - very happy with this setup, changed due to lack of height adjustment (needed for 245s and 275s)

Now running HSD (18 months)

Very Happy with the HSD due to their comfortable ride and adjustable height.

Thanks for the replies!

i have just fitted the miester r set up to my supra, its the same set as used on the sats cosworth supra and initially im verry impressed with them.

Yeah I looked into these after a mate who runs then on his R32 GTR recommended them.

I've got Tein Flex and I quite like them, prefer them to the Superstreets I had. I'll take you for a little drive on saturday if you want.

Sounds like a plan!

For UK roads I'd go Bilstein dampers and Eibach/Tein springs.

This is what I'm running now, yellow bilsteins with tein springs and I agree it's a nice ride but unfortunately not stiff enough for the new wheels, I really need them stiffer to reduce any chance of rubbing.

I'm using BC coilovers and find them great. The Teins are far too hard for me. And the BC are a very comfortable drive and handle very well too.

I got recommended the BC's too, they seem to be the best value ones which would be a bonus too lol good to hear some positives for them. :thumbs:

Chris Wilson fast road set-up on mine. (Revalved Bilstein dampers with height adjustment and custom wound springs)

A very good compromise between comfort and handling, even on the track.

I may go for slightly stiffer springs or indeed a full race set-up from Chris in future though, I'll see what limitations this next round of upgrades highlights on the car.

I got the RSR's, they are harsh on the hardest setting, but are very bouncy on the lowest setting, too bouncy, again they are bottom adjustable

I had this when I first fitted my Megan Racing coilovers. I thought it was just due to the setting being on soft but after a small adjustment it turned out to be due to the pre-tension not being right. If it isn't set correctly and left too soft, when you are on the upwards travel there won't be the correct amount of tension for when the car comes back down, this means you get a fair bit of bouncing going on.

At first I was exactly the same as yourself, stiffening up the dampers to combat this. The trouble is that I think this will wear out the dampers easier, and of course you have to live with a harsher ride.

Might be something to look at :)

Thanks for the replies!

I got recommended the BC's too, they seem to be the best value ones which would be a bonus too lol good to hear some positives for them. :thumbs:

I wouldn't recommend the BCs over HSDs. They aren't as well built as them. I fitted a set of BCs for a mate and while they seem OK, they just weren't as solid and rugged as the HSDs. They were very akin to the Megan racing coilovers I took off of the car. They are a fair bit lighter, not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing... as the weight seems to be down to the lack of girth :D