The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Problem with spats bought on eBay

Jake

I bought this spat from eBay : Supra MKIV, Brand New Left Rear Skirt by Toyota

I was expecting a genuine Toyota OE type spat. What I actually received was this :

http://img14.exs.cx/img14/3247/eBaySpat.th.jpg and it's made of fibreglass.

I complained to the seller and this was his reply :

Once the skirt is fitted and painted it will look perfect (as you can see from the image in the advertisement), the one that came off my car was made of fibreglass and looked exactly the same as the one I sold you, to be honest I never gave it a second thought that there could be alternative materials available.

I have included a picture of the replaced skirt on my car after fitting and painting and as you can see you wont be disappointed (that was the damaged side too). My car has been lowered and also has the fibreglass side skirts, it hasn’t suffered from any durability/flexibility problems.

Some of my friends who own MKIV Supras have rear skirts fitted to their cars which I have confirmed are also made from fibre glass, however, it seems polyurethane skirts were an option on the later Jap spec cars only. Since I have a UK car perhaps that is why my car has the fibreglass alternative. Also, most people fit the fibreglass because of the near impossibility of getting the polyurethane material you described, especially in the UK, it seems that even imported Jap spec cars have fibreglass skirts unless fitted as an option in Japan at purchase.

The rear skirt you bought retails for £190 as a pair from Paul Whiffin. So £42 is a pretty good deal.

I have contacted the second bidder down in the list to see if he is still interested and explained the circumstances, I am still awaiting his reply, I will then go to the next bidder down at £35, unfortunately, if neither are still interested then it is standard ebay practice for the bid to stand. To be honest I was surprised the bidding ended at this price anyway, you are almost certain to get more if you re-advertised anyway. Sorry to hear that you were disappointed.

Shane

Now, I don't want to overreact but OTOH I don't really want to pay £49 for a poor quality fibregalss copy of a second-hand OE spat that I don't need anyway. (I only bought it because it was a bargain for a spat by Toyota)

What would you do now in this situation?

Hmmmm.......... I was offered a '2nd chance' or whatever it is on this very item, yesterday.

I turned it down when told it was fibreglass.....

Kinda odd that he's trying to sell it to me , when you have it...

I see I will have to use to Hammersnipe in future auctions:p :p

As for paying 49 quid for it ....... i wouldn't be happy if I had won it and found it wasn't as described.

Originally posted by matt

Hmmmm.......... I was offered a '2nd chance' or whatever it is on this very item, yesterday.

Kinda odd that he's trying to sell it to me , when you have it...

I see I will have to use to Hammersnipe in future auctions:p :p

Hi Matt

Are you "Slurpa" on eBay then?

I guess he's trying to find another buyer for it before taking it back from me, I presume he doesn't want me to give him negative feedback. And to be fair I don't want to neg him because I believe it was an honest mistake.

What's Hammersnipe?

Sorry Jake , I didn't fully read your first post .. the first part of it was cut n pasted into the email I received, so i skipped the end bit

If he's going down the list of bidders hopefully he'll sell it ....sounds like he's being fair

Hammersnipe is auction software that bids in the last few seconds

If he's going down the list of bidders hopefully he'll sell it ....sounds like he's being fair

Is he being fair though? You said you bid on it, didn't you also think it was a genuine Toyota spat from the description?

If the advert was incorrect or misleading surely he's being unfair by not taking it back unless he can find another buyer. No?

Having now read all the post:stupid: .... well I'm tired!

No , he isn't being fair!

What I was trying to say, is that I bidded for this for the exact same reasons as you.

I read it as being a genuine 'Toyota' item , and thats what I would have expected to be delivered.

Do what you have to do to get your dosh back .........

Do what you have to do to get your dosh back

Dunno mate. Seems he isn't offering to take them back. I posted on here hoping for some opinions but it seems it's just you and me.

When he contacted you with the Second Chance offer did you happen to mention that his advert led you to believe they were pukka Toyota spats?

btw, you didn't say, are you Slurpa on eBay? I know he offered the spat to a couple of the bidders.

No mention of it being fiberglass in the second chance offer all it said was "The seller, s****-*k is making this Second Chance Offer because the high bidder was either unable to complete the transaction or the seller has a duplicate item for sale"

Little tip, always email a seller and check wether or not the item advertised is a genuine part or not.

This is regardless of their description. That way you are covered and have formal evidence of his or her reply.

Ebay is full of dodgy Supra parts.

Note how they advertise complete Veilside kits but with Bomex skirts. Most people on Ebay haven't a clue. I have heard many bad stories from there.

Also note that it is a Veilside style rear spat that is shown and advertised Toyota do not make these

Thanks for the input Matttrd, to be honest I'm a complete newb at this eBay lark.

So let me get this right, if something is advertised as "by Toyota" I should contact the seller and say "Is this item really 'by Toyota' or is it in fact a fake?"

Seems a bit odd to me.

Originally posted by Matttrd

Also note that it is a Veilside style rear spat that is shown and advertised Toyota do not make these

Ah, I've just noticed this part of your post. You clearly don't know what you've talking about. The Toyota and Veilside spats are quite different and the pic in the eBay link is clearly of the Toyota style spats.

What he's sold you isn't what his description says. So yes his bad.

Is fifty quid expensive for this item anyway, even in fibreglass and not polyawhatsamacallit? I don't know?

If your definitely not happy about the part then tell him your not f**king having it.

It seems like your intention was to sell it on anyway. Could you not just do that? I suppose it depends on how confrontational you feel.

Cheers,

Tony

When people try to help you Jake its best not to insult them mate.

I am correct the picture shown on the Ebay link is of a veilside style rear spat.

Check any dealers website ie Whifbitz or Miami Gt.

im afraid not mate. that is 100% a picture of toyota OE style spat

I am correct the picture shown on the Ebay link is of a veilside style rear spat.

Check any dealers website ie Whifbitz or Miami Gt.

How would a bidder know it was Veilside, i didnt know it was! The seller has described the item as designed by Toyota and it clearly is not.

And to say always check with the seller before bidding....er why? If the item turns out to be different to as advertised which is the case here then eBay will resolve this.

Originally posted by TLicense

Is fifty quid expensive for this item anyway, even in fibreglass and not polyawhatsamacallit? I don't know?

It seems like your intention was to sell it on anyway. Could you not just do that? .

I guess £50 isn't all that bad but I don't need a spat anyway. Genuine OE spats are rare and valuable, so I bought it. I had folks pratically begging me for the skirts and spats I bought from BlooFire recently (Which went to a member of this BBS for £150 less than I was offered for them by somebody else)
I suppose it depends on how confrontational you feel
Confrontational? Me? :innocent:

Jake,

If i were you i would report this to eBay and let them sort it out. Using the link below -:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/contact_inline/bidding_buying.html

Select -:

1. Ask about bidding or buying

2. Bidding or Buying

3.You didnt recieve an item or it wasnt as described

Select continue and then select e-mail.

eBay will then give you their thoughts on this.

Regards

Chris