The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Universal CV boot kit

TTRickeh

Thar's a split in ma boots. (Said in a Woody from Toy Story accent).

I was going to source a replacement driveshaft but since it's just the rubber that's split I was thinking of just replacing the boot so that I don't end up with an extra driveshaft because people aren't willing to sell just one, or a non-turbo thinner one, or the wrong length one etc.

What do people think of this? I have a tub of Comma bearing grease I got from Halfords. If I got this kit, should I use that or the sachets that come with it?

Alternatively does anyone know how much a new boot kit is from Toyota?

It's the drivers side driveshaft (ABS type, smaller diff) boot closest to the diff if it makes any difference.

Thanks

99% of aftermarket boot kits are rubbish. The C/V joint boot is the hardest worked rubber component on a car, tyres included. The reason modern ones give so little trouble compared to the 1970's ones is there is a hell of a lot of technology in them. Anyone who ran a FWD vehicle in those days will remember that an MOT fail sheet ALWAYS had one or more split C/V boots on it :) If Toyota don't see the boot separately you will probably have longer term success with a used shaft. If you can find one.

Edit:

Toyota list the genuine boots separately.