The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Have I been had?

EdMorris

I was wondering if anyone could give me thier thoughts/advice on the following:-

I've just been to look at a supra offered by Bristol Import Centre. Nice one too. Gun metal, J spec non turbo, 6spd manual, later Recaro seats, standard motor but for after market alloys and pipe, 90k km. Good condition except for a slight peeling of paint in offside front light cluster and a few scuffs on the alloys. Drives and handles ok, no clunks from gearbox or smoke from engine. Advertised at £9,995, but when I sat down with the seller and agreed to go ahead, he told me the car had been advertised wrong. The real price was £10,995. He went straight into telling me that he would tax it and fit a cat 1 alarm and reduce the price to £10,750. I got a little carried away as this is the first one I've seen or driven and agreed to purchase, although no money has changed hands. Now that I'm back home I'm starting to have doubts.

Have I been taken for a ride, or is the car worth the money?

Bristol Import Centre ? I went there a while back looking at various cars, he told me he doesn't just bring any old stuff over only the best he can find.

Went back a couple of weeks later, the owner was busy and so I was chatting to his helper about a TT Sup they've got there, his helper said he's not selling it as the engine and gearbox are f**ked even though it had £9995 on the windscreen. If you check his web site it's still for sell but now £8995 I think, I reckon it's been there for almost a year now.

Having said that I'm sure he has good cars there and every trader is going to sell a bad one at some point, it's just whether they know they are selling a bad one.

oh, the owner also said to me a while back that he's not bothering with Sup's anymore as he's had too many bad experiences with the bottom end on them, I see tho that he's just taken/ing delivery of a purple TT !! I could tell you more but I've said enough !!

I think the fact your even thinking about it tells you what you need to know..

I think you will know when you have found the right car. This does sound a little overpriced to me and as for him advertising it wrong...:eek: That's his problem, there is no way I'd pay for his mistake if I were you..

Good luck in finding a good un.

Cheers:thumbs:

yep I know its tempting...coz it does look nice, but be strong and walk away.....theres always loads of NA's in Top Marques evry two weeks....you can pick and choose, it took me a good four months to find my latest Supra. I got mine from Pinewood Motor Co....they used to be a Toyota dealership until I became a Customer (I'm only kidding he he) they were fantastic, and really looked after me very well.

It is a lot harder to get a clean example these days as most of the honest dealerships are not selling them...so the waters are a bit shark infested...but keep looking...you'll find the perfect one soon I'm sure.

Best Of Luck

Si

:innocent:

Originally posted by SkyJawa

Some of the later NA's were indeed a 6sp.........

Not heard good things about this BTC place, bit like Keighley......

Walk away fella, theres plenty more out there.

like Neil says .......

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by chris n.

Saw a NA supe for £5995 at Billing and it was spot on !!!!!!!!

The one I know of is cheaper than that:eek:

Originally posted by Terry S

The one I know of is cheaper than that:eek:

Cheaper than £5995 :blink: I bought my N/A for £7995 on an L 78,000 miles with minimal history :stupid:

Just goes to show you as someone posted "be strong and walk away"

Having said that I have owned it for 3-4 months and other than new shocker,new delimiter, new wheels and tyres needed as wheels, when bought were too small, oh and new exhaust, I could go on.

Even after all that I still dont regret it.:innocent:

Matt

Hi, i know 4 different people who have bought cars from Bristol Import Centre and they are all very pleased with their cars, its true they are a little more expensive than some other places but their stock is of a very high quality.

in the sports section they do have a couple of monkeys who clean the cars who think they know what they are talking about, they dont:p but the main guy there knows his stuff and flys out to japan every month to buy their stock for them:thumbs:

i just wanted to say dont knock em, they usually are very good:) (if a little expensive)

I'm not knocking the car, it was great. Drove nice, low ish miles, good condition, etc. It was just the way the deal went. He could have told me over the phone that the price was wrong, or when I turned up, but he waited till I was about to sign. Just seemed a bit dodgy, felt I was being taken for a ride.

Originally posted by attilauk

Hi, i know 4 different people who have bought cars from Bristol Import Centre and they are all very pleased with their cars, its true they are a little more expensive than some other places but their stock is of a very high quality.

in the sports section they do have a couple of monkeys who clean the cars who think they know what they are talking about, they dont:p but the main guy there knows his stuff and flys out to japan every month to buy their stock for them:thumbs:

i just wanted to say dont knock em, they usually are very good:) (if a little expensive)

Yep but hes being very greedy, I've never known a Car dealer to suddenly increase the selling price its normally the other way round....thats the trouble with some of these people they smell Money and it goes to their head.....we all agree its overpriced but to add an extra Grand on top is taking the michael a bit.

I would think that as he is importing so many cars all the time, you'd think that he would be able to work at a lower cost base.

Does look nice in the photo though.... Just call him and tell him how much you want to pay, get him to throw in 12 months tax, 12 months warrenty, cat 1 alarm and full tank of petrol.....and tell him to call you if he is interested....otherwise look for another!

Theres lots of em around.

Anyone else bought a Car from them?

EDIT: Let us know how you get on....if he looks after you it will be a good advert for his company on here....and I'm looking for a new Supra soon....as well!