The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What to do with misfiring n/a after washing engine

Biguns

Should never wash the engines as the water gets into the connectrs of the electrical plugs and more so...on the na, the water travels down all the 6 spark plug chambers and causes the mis...so take all the plug leads out and try get the water out...you shouldn't need any parts tbh...

If your neighbour sets fire to your car, that'd dry it out :p

I washed my engine today but used a damp/nearly dry sponge to do it. Only really washed the painted parts of the bay and wiped over the dirty parts.

I used a power washer damn retard that I am

you need to undo the throttle body and slide it forward a bit.plus remove the plastic covers front and back.there 4 bolts holding the throttlebody to the y piece and 2 nuts holding the supporting bracket under the front of the throttle body.Also make sure you disconnect any wires that could be pulled on and the water pipe going to the throttle body.

Edited by barneybrendan (see edit history)

ive done this when i first got mine thing is i was at the petrol station using there jet washer, she sounded like a wrx sti! i didnt want to driver her home which was only 2 mile away so i used the petrol stations hova and had to get my brother to drop my tools off and remove the plastics to suck the water from around the plugs :( worked tho.. haha :)

get the vacum out and suck the water out from around the plugs,take the dizzy cap off and all the leads and get busy with the hair dryer take the connector off the ignitor aswell.

Just be careful if you're using your mums best vacuum cleaner, most don't like a drink, especially if the bag/chamber is already full ;)

you'll need a 12mm extended socket to get the throttle body off Andy. Remove the air filter housing and pipework first and then start on the throttle body. It's actually quite simple once you get into it but the sign of massive amounts of parts and bolts building up is a bit daunting..!!

You then need to get the spark plug cover off and you will see the recesses where the plugs are. I would get an air line or a can of compressed air from Tescos and blow the water out of the plug gaps. Then take it for a long run..!!

H.

Boltsthx H i have removed all the intake stuff and the bracket under the throttle body and the two bolts going through the top of the body but can't see the other two bolts

They are underneath if memory serves. You'll need an extended socket to get to them.