The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi all...

Guest Saturn

Guest Saturn

Hi,

just joined the forum!

In the process of trying to find my first Supra n/a! Thought I'd say hello and hopefully have a car sorted in the near future!:D

Guest Saturn

Live in Essex (nr Stansted Airport).

Just trawling the classifieds all evening!

Was just looking at this one, http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?239489-1997-Facelift-NA-Manual-in-Silver

Do you guys have any thoughts on the gearbox noise. Read a lot about possible problems and am wondering if its something I should be overly concerned about.....

The gear noise could be as he says - clutch release bearing, which would be around £200-250 to replace from a garage (mostly labour). However, the w58 can suffer from worn input shaft bearings which will cost a lot more to fix, based on the mileage this is more likely if the the release bearing was changed when the clutch was last replaced. The car seems to be sensibly priced.

Guest Saturn

Hmm thats what I wondered.

Would preferably like the first Supra to be reasonably trouble free..... might go have a look anyways and see for myself.

Thanks for your info.

There is quite a lot of car for the money, i wouldn't bother about the release bearing, mine did it when I first got it so I replaced the clutch and release bearing and it still does it, its very common with the w58's, I found a solution and that's get a louder exhaust ;)