The mkiv Supra Owners Club

caliper pistons

jackso11

I put my thumb in the centre of the piston and pulled it out.

If they are stuck in there then you will need to get something like reversed pliers to get a good pull on them.

The key is the lip in the centre of the piston, you can get a good grip on that with Jspecs.

yeah they are stuck...thats why I have them off :)

Wouldn't have made any difference trying to get them out before taking them off the car then would it ;)

If you can push them in, you can pull them out. The brake fluid will shoot out the brake line hole though so be prepared for it.

It doesn't have to specifically be pliers. Anything that you can put into the bore to pull out will do the job.

Are you splitting the calipers? if so you will get better access to pull them out.

In order to unseize them get wooden shaft, small enough to fit in the piston hole and give it a dunt with a hammer. Then give pulling them a go :)

yeah pushed them in, now can't get them out again

Pushing them in should free them off.

Stick your thumb in and pull REALLY hard, you should be able to feel it starting to ease out. Rotate your thumb to the front and the side, alternating the pull.

One WILL come out if you whack it hard enough through the piston hole at the rear but be carefull to hit it bang on the centre. The other piston doesnt have a hole behind it so that one will be a whole lot more difficult. Best way to release it is to get a pair of mole grips on the edges of the exposed part of the piston and rotate it in the cylinder. This breaks much of the old gumed up crap and sticky grease in the piston/clyinder and if you keep rotating enough it should then be "easier" to try and pull out (again with mole grips). If they are seized, DONT expect this to be easy. By the time i had finished i was knackered and almost had a hernia. Fully working brakes should have pistons movable by hand.

I got all 8 pistons out of the last UK calipers i refurbed whilst off the car and didnt have a problem, a bench vice to hold the calipers is very helpfull though which i guess you dont have.

Compressed air is also your friend :)

Guest 2jzFUN
I had to get mine out with a compressed air line in the bleed nipple hole, with the nipple removed.

I haave done this before as well.

anyone know where I can get reverse pliers from? Halford - no, B&Q - no, ebay - no......

I'm not sure what they are actually called. I just called them reverse pliars as that is what they remind me of. The things you are looking for have L ends, when you grip them they spread out letting you grip the inner ring of the piston.

Look like this....

_||_