The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help please on how drivers electric seat motors work

Parry_10

Im sure someone will have the answer to this basically i moved my drivers side seat back via the electric switch and the motor was alot louder than usuall so i moved it back and forwards a few times and now the seat doesnt move at all and its stuck as far away from the steering wheel as you can get which is really annoying! When i try and move it forward one side of the seat trys to move(the side with the switches on) but the other side doesnt move at all so its trying to go towards the left rather than straight, just wondering if there is a motor for either side of the seat and one of them is not working now or something like that? Also i cant get the seat out the car as i cant get to any of the rear bolts! Chris

sounds like the trouble i had with my spare seat of seats. the motor works fine but the gear cogs that turn to move the corkscrew thing are made of plastic and this collapses. in the end me and a m8 pushed the seat back whilst pressing the switch to move it just to get it in place and then left it as the cost of replacing the cogs is huge

the cogs will almost certainly be goosed. as i wasnt doing anything with the seats until i took them out i just moved it back with brute force and then the same moving it forward to take them out each time we moved to runner back a touch then both yanked it forward again till it moved enough to clear the 2 back bolts that go into the side tunnel. once ive sorted runners for my corbeaus ill gladly let you have a look at the spare bits i have from my old set of cloth seats and the current ones i have in that work perfectly....i'll just need to work out how to get them down to you in surrey

Cheers havard i had a feeling this was a common fault just going to be a mission trying to get the seat out, and i appritiate that tooley but theres no need i have two spare cloth seats in my garage as i upgraded to leather ones, so glad i didnt throw them out like most people do

Cheers havard i had a feeling this was a common fault just going to be a mission trying to get the seat out, and i appritiate that tooley but theres no need i have two spare cloth seats in my garage as i upgraded to leather ones, so glad i didnt throw them out like most people do

Just be careful pulling the seat forward using the bolts at the front of the seat, the thread will undo if the seat gets jammed at an angle. I would wind each one three or four turns at a time to keep the seat almost straight as it comes forward.

Cheers

H.

Had the same problem about 2 months ago, seat all the way back and wouldn't budge anymore, just the right side a tiny bit. Couldn't even see the bolts. Just used a basic...how do you call these again in english...sigh...===> picture... Lucky i found one the right size but wasn't too big so i could just get it over the bolt and between the "rails" the bolts are in. could only turn the bolt about 3mm every time i think so took me long enough.

A very frustrating job in a car with such a small backseat as the supra but it worked.

And yes if i remember correctly there is one in each runner.

CAKIKACOCABKADUVCAQ7783ZCAL2E1B1CAHWAWYBCA7QP8LBCARUXWXVCAUX5W3BCAEANR9ACATMJHB8CAIEMFVBCAW91PSQ.jpg

Edited by seba (see edit history)