The mkiv Supra Owners Club

brake caliper paint removal

jackso11

Ok, I think I am going to get the old red paint off my calipers before putting new black paint on. if I have them off and dismantled is there any reason I can't dump them in a load of paint stripper and come back later when they are clean and new looking?

Then wash them 110% before repainting?

I would have them dipped in phosphoric acid as that removes the paint/powder coat very nicely and is neutralised with water.

If you use paint stripper you will have to clean them seriously well as the residue could get into the pours of the casting and react with your new paint.

Use brake cleaner to clean them before painting after youve got the paint off

guess with a dremel I wouldn't need to take them off the car either, the static part I mean

Not really, i did but wasn't necesarry. Tought job was going to take more time but 5 minutes each brake with the dremel and they shine again. Mine were rusty as hell, think paint won't be harder to remove than rust.

Its whats used to strip powder coated, painted wheels with and how i stripped a few sets of uk spec calipers so is perfect for the job.

Afraid ive no idea where you can get it from, i sent the calipers to where Ibrar sends his wheels to be stripped.

Pic of the stripped calipers

calipers 005.jpg

You wouldn't remove them? Surly I could just run a tap through it to get any grit out?

Seriously?

If you don't know what you are doing bud, I would advise sending your brakes to someone that does. I know that blind squirrels find nuts too but I wouldn't go messing with your brakes when you don't have a clue.