The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are you scared of your supra ? ie too much power

Jurgen-Jm-Imports

does anybody on here get afraid of their own car ?.

i have drove a few big singles and i must admit i do get scared at times before i plant my foot down, but i guess thats the thrill..

i am looking forward to my car being finished but also very scared of the power its going to have.

do we just sometimes get carried away and then realise DAMM this is going to have too much power ?

maybe am just being a pussy since my lass had a child lol

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My F3000 had my full attention when I first drove it, but that was the whole point in buying it in the first place :) Well set up big power cars shouldn't intimidate though, a car that I get out of with sweaty palms and jangled nerves is usually one in need of more work. A nice long travel progressive throttle pedal, good mapping, excellent suspension that doesn't tramline, veer off under power, or hit the bump stops mid corner, and good tyres that suit the suspension (usually taller and narrower than fashion currently dictates on road cars) make a vast difference.

Anyway, your lorry has four wheel drive, so 1000 BHP is like 500 in a proper car ;) Surely though, if it didn't frighten you a bit you'd be doing yet more mods!

Defo, in this cold weather, and the fact I'm not used to it after driving the Jag for so long, it feels like I'm clining on for dear life when the 67 spools, when the hot weather comes and it feels like it's putting the power down with more confidence I'll be happier, but by then the car will prolly be even more powerfull & lighter so I'll prolly be in the same boat lol

I must admit I get a bit nervous going out in my car, similar to when I go out on the motorbike, I guess its not fear as such, perhaps more of a respect for the potential outcome!! I cant imagine trying to control the amount of power some of the cars on here have!

I doubt I have ever made full use of the power that my car has on public roads - its gets more of a workout on the dyno wth Ryan :)

on an open stretch (specially twisties) the performance and thrill is addictive - however being in London I normally dont enjoy those moments on a regular basis.

Edited by imi (see edit history)

Having only had my Supra for 2 weeks, I am very much scared of it.. I know its only a stocker but its the most powerful RWD car I have driven so my driving skill is not up to scratch as yet. Add to that the tyres on the car are Dunlop Lemans, they not offering much grip at the moment in the low temps, plus my novice status, odds are against me here..

Japan roads are definitely not suited for fast driving, there is a nice beginners track near by which I will be visiting soon.

Anyway, your lorry has four wheel drive, so 1000 BHP is like 500 in a proper car ;) Surely though, if it didn't frighten you a bit you'd be doing yet more mods!

the R35 was ok at 650bhp but at over 1k am not so sure it will grip as well , but hands up i would not be comfortable in a 1000 rwd car but 500 to 650rwd i dont mind.

the other factor is the roads in UK (pot holes everywere) i guess you would have to study your roads etc prior to giving it some..

i think i will be a pussy in My R35 till i get used to it lol (i suppose the key is to show the car respect).

everytime we get a big car i have to test it and i always go from third gear and in the centre lane and say to myself here we go lol

I try and get the back end out on every corner, so no, I'm not afraid.

:D

Honestly, not really because I've only put my foot down properly when it's a nice straight road and the conditions are good, other than that I just drive it like any other car. I'm sure once I get it onto a track I'll be scaring myself a bit :)

I hear what your saying here Jurgen. Personally I think if your not a little scared of it, you won't respect it. If you don't respect it, you WILL be caught out. I'm really nervous about opening mine up but can't wait at the same time.

Never scared but plenty of respect.

Some of the big hp cars would be a differant story i would imagine, having driven one with over 650 fwhp it certainally got my attention :blink: and actually convinced me that anything more than that was pretty pointless for rd use.

I agree with some comments above, about "too much power", but I also think the delivery of that power is key.

The "hit" of the turbo spooling and coming online is the rush we love, a smoother more progressive delivery will probably not feel as quick, though.

Crossing 170mph on the Autobahn scared the [biiip] out of me, no matter how much power the car has. To me its the speed more that the acceleration of big power cars that is spooky. But I totally get what Chris is saying about controllable power as opposed to "needs a bit more work" power.

I have to say that I have respect of my Supra everytime I go out with it for a quick trip.

I wouldn't say that I'm scared, but it happens that when I don't feel that it's the right moment to go for some quick blasts, I cancel the trip and leave it for the next day.

I will hold my hands up and say mine scares the living sh!t out of me....constantly!!!

If i had the chance i would have probably built and 550hp car that was maybe a bit more manageable, but sod it, its a challenge to master!! :D

im building mine for around 500-550 i hope it shits me up lol will it??

Yes, mine scares me. But that was the entire purpose of the build - to make it powerful & fast enough to scare me :D

Although I have, over time, come around to the opinion (as Chris Wilson states above) that power is useless without control.

Never scared, I love the thrill of big power RWD, dab of clutch coming out of a fast 3rd gear bend, little bit of sideways taking it into a huge 100mph rolling burnout is my idea of heaven.:D

Wasn't expecting any less from your anticipated reply Jamie. :D You are a kid at heart, you really are. :dummy:

No..........................................I ride a 1000cc sportsbike!!!!!!:) Like JP says thats the whole point, when cars like mine and the 57 im building don't get the adrenaline going it will be time to look for a new hobby.

Yes, mine scares me. But that was the entire purpose of the build - to make it powerful & fast enough to scare me :D

Although I have, over time, come around to the opinion (as Chris Wilson states above) that power is useless without control.

If everything is in control then you are obviously not going fast enough!!!!!!