The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Painting brakes

seba

Thinking about painting the brakes of the sup since i cleaned them yesterday. What paint do you guys use? I find so many threads on this on the web...

Most people offcourse say Hammerite, but this isn't heat resistant is it? I read only >80° but i find this hard to believe as many people use this on their callipers.

So the mostly recommended after Hammerite is just some heatresistant paint. People seem to have no problem with that either. Anyone can give me some advice?

And allso do you use something to degrease before painting?

Thx

After cleaning my calipers, I used a Dremel tool with a small copper wire brush to clean even more. They seamed ready for paint after that. Make sure you get paint that are made for calipers as they can heat towards 300c.

My paint said that it should be hardned in an oven, but also that that would result in a lot of smoke, so I didn't do that. Hope it is hardned enough as it has had several months do dry over the winter.

Finished the job with heat resistant lacquer.

So now the brakes are 'clean' do you put something else on it before you paint them?

I read a lot that people use this hammerite stuff that hardens the remaining rust and makes it into a solid base to paint over. Anyone experience with this?

I'd be checking the state of the seals first ;)

Also if you have j specs i'd be taking them apart and putting some copper slip on the sliding pins as these are prone to siezing

i'll check on them :thumbs: wanted to refurb them anyways. The sliders seem ok to me, they slide...so they are ok no? :D

Hammerite all the way, ive painted a few different sets of brakes with it and it's never reacted in any way to the heat. Goes straight on to rust as well so preparation needed is minimal, just a good degrease.

Ok thx for the info, I'm still getting all the rust off first as i don't want to be sorry in the future. Just got me a can of hammerite.

Do you remove all brake pads or just mask over them?

I just took of the entire brakes from the car mate, took everything apart so is much easier. You can offcourse paint them while they are on the car but seems way harder to me.

Offcourse you don't need to paint the inside of the brakes where the brakepads are as no one will ever see that.

Guest kanekane

I used VHT spray paint, it's high quality high temp paint specially designed for the heat of brake calipers. They have a nice Red, but various other color too. Did a deep degreasing and cleaning, then deep sanding of the calipers. I masked the pistons boots, bleeder, removed the hoses, and did 4 really thin layers of VHT. Didn't used primer or clear coat and it turned great, you can always clean and add clear coat later. VHT make a high temp clear.