The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opionins on MKIV Perspex bonnets?

Carbon_Bullet

I know a few will think it's ridiculous having a Perspex bonnet bonnet but I think it would look rather good if you have your engine fully chromed colour coded etc,

Tried ringing companies an it would cost around £2000-£2500 just to set up a moulding kit, once done could sell bonnets for £300-£400 , just wondering if anyone else has ever had this idea or if it's just me wanting something usual and random :/

Possible if enough interest is taken I may take on this project......or am I wasting my time?!?

If you drive the car that's the worst idea I've heard all year.

Without appearing totally dumb... why is it? - No attempt at sarcasm.

Is it just because it would look odd or due to things like heat from the engine etc?

I have perspex display cabinets at home. They look superb. They are not on a car. I couldn't imagine a bonnet in perspex and would not want one but I could understand the concept of wanting to show the engine bay off.

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)

Without appearing totally dumb... why is it? - No attempt at sarcasm.

Is it just because it would look odd or due to things like heat from the engine etc?

I have perspex display cabinets at home. They look superb. They are not on a car. I couldn't imagine a bonnet in perspex and would not want one but I could understand the concept of showing the engine bay off.

As soon as you drive the car it'll get either dirty or damaged. The amount of crap that would accumulate on it just driving to a show would put me right off. It wouldn't fit in the car either, so you can't fit it when you get there. I just don't see how it could possibly work if you use the car at all.

Thanks guys.

As Bossco said, I presumed it would melt since you apply heat to mould it in the first place.

As for the dirt issue, totally agree. That said, if heat wasn't an issue you could cut a window in a bonnet and apply a Perspex window to that. It would minimise consequences of dirt I suppose.

Still think it's daft though.

Add some protective film to it and dirt will wipe off easily and it won't get scratched.

With Rob's engine, this would be a good idea. No need to open the bonnet at shows. You could even tint it to stop people going blind :D