The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's this pipe?

Rob_Mitchell

It's a breather from the fuel tank to the charcoal canister. When you fit your new fuel lines, remove it from the tank, pull it out and vent the tank behind the car. If the charcoal canister isn't in place it's just engine bay clutter lol.

DO NOT vent the pipe out of the back.

The Supra tank and fuel pump are designed to work with 2psi, the fuel cap is also a pressure relief valve.

Just do what is say's in the link, Charcoal canister removal any other old wives tale plumbing system WILL cause issues.

No it won't. When removing the charcoal canister the pipe is just vented anyway. I've done loads of these and non have has issues. Wether you vent it at the front of the car or the back of the car doesn't matter a shit, it's still vented.

You have implied that you have disregarded this information and intend to carry on regardless.

It means exactly what it says.

The link takes you to the back end of a thread that exposes issues that others have experienced from leaving this pipe open and the reasons why this is the correct way to do it.

It's easier too.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

It wasn't me who asked the question for a start so the carrying on regardless comment doesn't really apply.

I've disregarded the information because IMO it's wrong, simples.

The pipe is intended as a vent/breather for the fuel tank. A breather is a breather. That's just like saying I've put an aftermarket plenum on and gone single so I'll block off the crank breathers on the cam covers.

Are these your own views and opinions or do you actually have someone credible in this technical field to back this up.

It's not rocket science, the information is in the Workshop Manual.

As I have explained and you have ignored twice before, the fuel tank and pump are designed to work at +2psi and the fuel cap is a 2psi pressure relief valve.

Leaving the tank to charcoal filter breather pipe open ended, leaves the tank and pump without pressure, and smelly/flammable petrol fumes wafting around.

Prove me wrong and I will buy you a pint.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Rocket science, lmao. I love that fraise. It discribes so many things lol.

I havnt ignored anything I just don't agree that's all.

Are you seriously concerned about 2 PSI?? I'm sure I'm not.

As far as I'm concerned, as soon as I turn on my ignition my FP gauge says 3.5 bar. I'm happy with that.

As for a petrol smell I've never had that problem on any of the cars I've done.

I was under the assumption that this pipe led to the canister to releave pressure when you open your petrol cap. With fuel sloshing about in a totally sealed tank pressure will increase due to fumes. This pipe stops you getting showered with fuel when you remove your petrol cap.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, then fair play to ya but like I've said every car I've done has never had an issue such with it.

I only like sprite I don't drink lol.

The charcoal cannister removes petrol fumes from relieved tank pressure and magically turns them into water which drips out of the drain pipe, yet maintains the tank pressure at 2psi.

With or without the charcoal filter the fuel cap relieves tank pressure at 2psi, it just gets a little more relieving to do without the charcoal cannister letting some through.

Mine's a pint of real ale please. ;)