The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single owners advise please ;-)

wallis

Hey up fellas,

With this better weather and dry roads I've been on a few spirited drives and my car when floored between gears is banging like all I can describe is a rally car from the exhaust, usually about 5 to 6 really quick like it's on the rev limiter, untill it finds the next gear.

Afr's are good and egt's fine, it honestly sounds awesome but scares the fooke out of people and other drivers.

I guess my question is, is this normal and ok?

I get the same also if I leave the traction control on and boot it, if it starts spinning the wheels and the powers cut it also bangs...... Lol

Any feedback would be great ;-)

Have you got RLTC Matt ???? or is the mysterious missfire returning?????

no dude not got rltc, it's just the stock one mate.

I suppose u could call it a misfire but only between the auto gear changes, it's kinda like the engine bounces of the rev limiter between gear changes kinda thing?

I've Only driven the car the last few days foot to the floor stylee, so never been able to drive it proper until now I guess.

I will call u tommorrow dude ;-)

Is it changing gear quickly or labouring ie hitting rev limit before it hits the next gear, in other words have you bolloxed the box already ?????

It drives brill, gear box has never been better since the new Oil

and filter change dude.

Tonight when I was driving it the tc was 100% off in normal auto drive mode and it was popping between 2nd and third gear changes.

If u have it in Manu mode through the gears it always pops and bangs of the limiter untill u change up a gear, my supras always done that just not ever in normal auto mode?

I know exactly what you mean mate, like a machine gun fire at max revs before the change? Its the ECU cutting the igniton before the gear changes, my Soarer used to do it as well.

Yeah exactly that Craig, I'm going to speak to afr today see what they think.

Craig u got a spare ignitor pack i could borrow, I want to change it to see if that stops it ;-)

Its already had ignitor pack Matt, which is why Matt thinks the actual metal conector in the plug could be the problem, hence when you change packs the plugs have been disturbed and thus the missfire goes, try jiggling the plug or trying more contact cleaner.

Its the Standard ecu reducing the torque on gearchanges.

You get the banging on your car because of the large injectors and running a piggyback. Basically when you get to the point where the box changes the stock ecu creates torque reduction by pulling timing and closing the ETTC valve about half way, when doing this with large injectors that i find are larger than 650cc the amount of fuel that is injected into the engine is twice as much as toyota mapped it for gearchanges.

Lots of fuel, retarded ignition, oxygen and an exhaust which is around 400c creates basically a flame thrower.

Only way you can try and get round it is look at the cell it sits in when it happens and pull fuel out.

Or

Fit a Syvecs which monitors the ETTC valve and retards the timing it self so cuts the right amount of fuel :)

Cheers for all the feedback fellas, I'm going to change a vac pipe and clean and sort out the pins on the ign pack to see if this sorts it.

It's intermittent so it's prob just a bad connection on the pins hopefully.

The cars run fine with the fic before when afr test drove it, so the mapping and set up is fine.

Fingers crossed I'll sort it out this weekend!

Thx again guys for the advise :-)