The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best weather for Spray work

Samurai 20V

Hi guys..

I am considering having the roof and bonnet sprayed on my Supie, its not 100% to my standard (Gonna have a crack at detailing first b4 deciding).

Right now its winter in Japan, so low temps.. Summer is high temp and high humidity..

Sept and April/may is mild weather, even though the car will be painted in a Spray booth with heaters etc, do you think there is an ideal time to paint?

I had some issues with painting my previous car (painted by a BMW Pane shop) hence my apprehension.

Also, is there any issues with painting the aluminium bonnet?

Thanks

Kind of depend on the type of paint used, water based or 2K, but in any case if its painted in a proper environment controlled booth, there shouldn't be any problems not matter the time of year.

A lot of problems like micro blisters etc can be caused by so many variables, like not being thoroughly dry after wet flat primer, or exceptional humidity, and a non closed environment booth, a lot is also down to good or bad spray shop work control practice etc.

Aluminum really needs its own etch type primer if it bare metal.

Kind of depend on the type of paint used, water based or 2K, but in any case if its painted in a proper environment controlled booth, there shouldn't be any problems not matter the time of year.

A lot of problems like micro blisters etc can be caused by so many variables, like not being thoroughly dry after wet flat primer, or exceptional humidity, and a non closed environment booth, a lot is also down to good or bad spray shop work control practice etc.

Aluminum really needs its own etch type primer if it bare metal.

Not too sure about the shops equipment, will have too research them properly.. Going to view some of their work as well before I decide.

I dont think they will rub the bonnet down to metal, will have to reconfirm. Being Japanese they have worked on Supras before so that is one plus point.