The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help! My Supra sounds like a Tractor!!!

SamuraiFlash

Hi all I need your help to find out whats wrong with my car :(

Basically, I took her out today as it was a fine day, 5mins into my journey and suddenly i hear this loud noise, it sounded like a large crate was being dragged underneath my car.

I panicked and pulled over, had a look underneath - nothing was there. Opened my bonnet and the sound from the engine bay didn't sound right. I went back in the car and I pressed on the accelerator slightly to about 1000rpm and the noise can only be described as a tractor was coming from underneath my engine bay.

I drove her back home slowly as I wasnt too far, the car felt normal to me, however it was bloody load and i didnt dare go higher than 1,500rpm as at about 2k it was embarrassingly noisy.

I'm thinking it's got something to do with my exhaust being loose somewhere, I hope. I say this as I was giving my car a wash and after the wash i thought I'd polish the back box of my Blitz nur spec exhaust system. I get the feeling that i probably applied a bit to much pressure and probably loosened something close to the engine and cause a leak in the system somewhere.

Could this be the case or i there something worse that I should consider? Like a blow in the manifold? It's an NA-TT btw.

Any help would be appreciated guys, I dont think I'll be able to sleep tonight :(

I would imagine its exhaust related. Did your car have an undertray and does it currently have one?

Just thinking it could have come loose, and caught the exhaust on its way out.

Hi rob, not sure if i have an undertray, i'll get it on a ramp tomorrow. I would have liked to take it to a mates place but its far too loud to be driving all that way. I live near a national tyre's, might just take it there if its defo an exhaust realted issue.

The car sound croaky even on idle, when you have the bonnet open you can just tell by the noise that somethings not right.

Have you checked to see if you've knocked one of the rubber "rings" off the hanger and the exhaust's not wobbling about?

Hi Josh, The rubber rings are on the hanger and the back box is still in place.

It was fitted when I had my Engine conversion done in October...you reckon the 2nd decat wasn't fitted properly onto the manifold?

Have a check tomorrow and see if it may have come loose. Tighten the nuts and maybe get some exhaust gasket paste and whack it on there to see if that stops the noise/blowing.

Have a check tomorrow and see if it may have come loose. Tighten the nuts and maybe get some exhaust gasket paste and whack it on there to see if that stops the noise/blowing.

I imagine they used some kinda paste, some of which could have blown out. I would be reluctant to take it to any national tyre/quickfit type place as they will just try to push to fit a new exhaust and generally bodge things up :(

I called another one of my local mates who has a ramp in his little garage, I'll take it there and see what has happened. I jsut hope it isn't something too serious, if it's just a little blow or a gasket's gone bad then I'll be at peace. Thank you.

I was kidding :p Someone will take a listen and prove what iv said is wrong, happens all the time :p

LOL..!!

Sounds like a bodged fitment to me and then a big lump of paste has dropped out. Or the exhaust has corroded somewhere near the front/manifold. Just thinking, could the cat has disintegrated?

H.

Had a proper look this morning with a mate and it looks like the blow is coming from where the exhaust manifold bolts to the head, so it's the manifold gasket that has gone and one of the bolts have come off :(

Oh no way. I bet you wish it was blowing from the second cat now!

if you done this your self it wouldnt cost you much at all, my tt didnt even have a manifold - head gasket, i just bolted it up and tightend it not blowing at all, im sure somone would know with a manual

I wouldn't mind giving it a go if someone gave me some guidance on how to approach this task.