The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto Radiator Change Advice

mawby

So near to getting my car back on the road and what happens.... my radiator decides it wants a career change and would like to be a sprinkler system instead. :(

I've got most of it unplumbed now and the only thing really stopping me lifting it out of the auto box cooler. I need to wait a couple of weeks before ordering any parts so I don't want to disconnect that until the last minute. Looking at the tech manuals would suggest it is very easy to deal with - simply disconnect, reconnect and then top-up. Is it really that easy? I'll probably end up with an after market radiator so I'll need a separate gearbox cooler. Are there any extra complications I need to be aware?

Also, as I'll be needing to top up the auto box anyway, should I just replace the fluid whilst I'm at it? It was done just over 3 years ago but for 2 of those years the car has been off the road and only travelled a few hundred yards every couple of months to keep everything lubricated. I'm sure I read somewhere that changing to fluid too often is bad for the box, but I can't imagine the life it's had recently has done it much good either - especially as the last thing the car did before going into storage was a track day. :cool:

So any general advice on changing a radiator in an auto greatly appreciated before I order the parts and set to work replacing it?

2 old spark plugs in the ends of the disconnected hoses will stop them dribbling while you fit the new rad. There will be a bit of a loss of fluid from then old cooler in the old rad, but not very much. Plugs go porcelain ends into the hoses. Do NOT start the engine with cooler disconnected, the auto box will evacuate it's oil impressively and quickly.

2 old spark plugs in the ends of the disconnected hoses will stop them dribbling while you fit the new rad.
Good tip, thanks.

Do NOT start the engine with cooler disconnected, the auto box will evacuate it's oil impressively and quickly.
That sounds like the voice of experience speaking there! :)

On a side note, I've just dropped the under tray off my car so I'm ready for when the new radiator arrives. The under tray is lined with a material similar (possibly is) sound deadening. Due to the leak mine is soggy and currently drying in the sun, but is this material actually needed or should I bin it? It's only held on by a couple of poppers and if all it does is reduce noise it can go.