The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1998 - Facelift MOT Emissions Tests

Pudsey

Hi there all,

I know there has been much debate around emissions tests come MOT time, but as I have just had mine done today and failed :(

Thought I would post up for peoples views.

I was told my car 'has' to have a Catalytic Convertor style test being a 1998 model, and apparently my engine was in the data base too.

I never expected the car to pass a Cat test with both 1st and 2nd decats in place, but it got no where even near passing.

So out come the spanners to replace the second decat with the factory 2nd Cat, which will be staying in this time.

Has anyone come up with alternatives, I just can't understand how all the big 'boys and girls' manage to pass come emissions test time?

Appreciate any feedback discussions on the topic.

Thanks All. ;)

You have no way of getting away from the cat test post 95 unfortunately. You could probably argue your case pre-95 due to the VIN not being on record (Vin number and engine number must be on the database).

Sounds like you were a little unlucky. My car JUST failed with both decats in.... and that was after it sitting idle for months.

Hi there all,

I know there has been much debate around emissions tests come MOT time, but as I have just had mine done today and failed :(

Thought I would post up for peoples views.

I was told my car 'has' to have a Catalytic Convertor style test being a 1998 model, and apparently my engine was in the data base too.

I never expected the car to pass a Cat test with both 1st and 2nd decats in place, but it got no where even near passing.

So out come the spanners to replace the second decat with the factory 2nd Cat, which will be staying in this time.

Has anyone come up with alternatives, I just can't understand how all the big 'boys and girls' manage to pass come emissions test time?

Appreciate any feedback discussions on the topic.

Thanks All. ;)

Not strictly true, there is no official note in the testing guide that states a catalytic converter must be fitted, just says it has to pass a BETs test, then if that fails a full CAT test.. Assuming you are TT then yes, the 2JZ-GTE is in the database, as its the same engine UK/J-spec (bar the subtle changes). The NA was never available in the UK so isn't in the database.

Can't we make this a sticky or something? I'm getting tired of posting it in "What emissions test?" threads. :)

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/index.htm

There are flowcharts that tell you exactly what emissions test your car has to pass (barring the question of whether an import TT is in the database or not).

That is great information, and appreciate that you have posted many times for people with queries.

A sticky would be good for sure, bound to come up again.

So leading on from this discussion.

What is the best Catalytic Convertor to put back in?

I see 'Ian Ian' managed to get by with just the 1st Cat, but isn't that one more restrictive?

The other question is.......

How do people with modified facelifts running big power manage to control emissions to pass the test?

Or will simply putting Cats back sort the whole problem?

Does anyone here run Race Cats, or are they pointless?