The mkiv Supra Owners Club

V160 Gearbox Rebuild

fastcar

Was it bought off ebay ;)

no its my own box out of my supra.

it got a really bad rattle id say its a bearing gone but dont want to take it apart myself

Ive got it off the car just needs someone who knows what there looking at to see whats wrong with it

Mark (Pheonix) used to have a local gearbox company that could work on them. They did a partial rebuild of Ian C's v160 for a VERY reasonable price.

Not sure of the company name, but someone might recall it...

Hi Homer is Mark(Pheonix) a member on here?

and do you mean local to me or you?

Thanks

Hi Homer is Mark(Pheonix) a member on here?

and do you mean local to me or you?

Thanks

Mark was never a member here, but he used to be one of the south's most favoured mechanics. He migrated to Australia a couple of years ago so isn't around to ask anymore.

It would be worthwhile sending a PM to Ian C on here, I am sure he still has details of the company. They were based in, or close to, Watford

Sure its not your clutch? V16x boxes dont go wrong very often at all, theyre pretty strong

im sure its the box

its was making the noise with standard clutch and flywheel.

then when i changed to uprated clutch and a solid flywheel it was twice as loud

That doesn't sound good at all, I have a rattly flywheel but it doesn't sound anywhere near that bad. I think you are right about it being the box. Does it have the correct oil in? When was it last changed?

I'm sure it was changed on the last major service alone with the diff oil. That was about 3 years ago. I had the clutch and flywheel done just after that. I didn't change the clutch and flywheel myself. I did ask the garage that did it they had changed the oil but they said no.

Parts for these are horrendously expensive, a couple of syncro rings and a gear cluster will prob write most boxes off with labour charges.

If you cannot get a quote I have a recon box here, rebuilt and done under 1000 miles I want 2K for it.

Parts for these are horrendously expensive, a couple of syncro rings and a gear cluster will prob write most boxes off with labour charges.

If you cannot get a quote I have a recon box here, rebuilt and done under 1000 miles I want 2K for it.

What has that box been used for?

Sadly I never found out the name of the chap who sorted mine out. It was all done via Mark @ Phoenix. He upped sticks and emigrated to Oz a long time back, alas.

I stripped every tooth off the 5th gear synchro ring. I was lucky it was 5th as the V160 is a 4 speed box with a 5th/6th module on the front of it. 5th gear is the first gear assembly you come across when stripping it down so it was the least amount of labour possible. Cost me just under £300 which was a complete bargain in my opinion, that included parts. Box is still going fine after 4 or 5 years.

Toyota were a bit pants with supplying the right bits though, took three attempts to get a bearing or something :)

I think in my case it would need striping completely as it is the bearing that need replacing. I have the v160 manual but don't feel confident enough to strip it down myself. Have saved myself alot of labour by taken the box out myself but I think striping it down is a bit to complex for TBH.