The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Oil Cooler DISASTER :-(

a98pmalcolm

Ok been a tuff few weeks with the amount of bad luck, and as from one of my previous threads saying I was going to sell the supra, I thought id share my experience that made me feel this way about the car (that I can be proud to say i just cant let it go)

A few weeks ago i took my car to Advanced Motorsport (very helpful and nice chaps) to meet them and while i was there get an oil change and a new AEM water injection connector. All good fine and dandy.

On my last day of my week off i got up to drive to Miltern Keynes. As i approuched my car i noticed my front wheel was covered in engine oil. I mean COVERED so much that in the inner part of the wheel had a puddle of it.

So i called my mate up at his garage and he said to pop it down to him. Checked my oil level, seemed enough to get me the 4 miles, on the way my oil level worning light came on but made it just in time.

We ordered the oil and filled her up. Me and my mate were looking everywere for this leak and couldnt find. Turned her on to see if we could see a leek anywere. Obviuosly at this point my blame was advanced motorsport thinking the new filter was put on dodgy but that was all ok and the work they did was fine.

As we lowered the car on the ramp i looked at my oil cooler through my bumper (engine still on) and one pipe from the 90 degree connector didnt look rite (but wasnt leaking) my mate fether touched it BAM came off and oil went EVERYWERE including all over him. So we at least know its a good oil pump lol.

So with the poorly pressed pipe that i had fitted just over a year ago i had to get made up again. But as de tryed to undo the 90 degree adaper it was so so overtightened and what looking like super glue on the threads snapped my oiler :-( (The cooler wasnt fitted my Advanced Motorsport nor Whifbitz) but a company i dont use anymore due to problems iv had including writing one side of my car off last year from it rolling off the bloody ramp!!!!!

So needed new oil line and cooler. So bought a new cooler via my mate at Backdraft Motorsport (great company of your involed with VAG or Ferrari) and got the line from a hydrolic componant compant near me (very high quality)

So drove up to Backdraft Motorsport so use my mates place to fit the cooler. Had the light out, HID kit out etc etc.. To find that the the new pipe was the wrong size to the cooler, i got it wrong, i dont know how but i did! As you can imagine i was pretty pissed off.

Ok so next day off came along i picked a 1/2" to 5 8th adapter, went to mine, head light out etc ect. To find that i hadnt got it wrong but the new cooler had smaller connectors to the last one as the orignal pipe that was fine didnt fit!! :banghead:

A week later on my day off i fitted my new oil cooler. All connections were good. Making new brackets fitting it lower and was happywith the work i had just done :) :

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4008/20110215001.jpg

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/7302/20110215002.jpg

But sadly with the supras oil filter being a bitch to get to i struggled getting to is as i was doing this work on my drive was using the standard sissor jack that comes with the car.

So went to my mate garage so they can fit the sandwich wedge and filer back on for me. A bit later (they stayed an hour late for me) all was fitted, time to start the car and check for leaks!

AND CAN YOU BELIVE IT, A FAULTY COOLER!! IT WAS LEAKING FROM BOTH SIDES!! Were they press on the male connetors it was leaking and i found a small hole in the cooler!!!!

Now at this point i nearly spontaneously combusted... But they only answer was remove the sandwich wedge fit on the oil filter and i will remove the cooler that took me 1/2 a day making brackets and relocating.

So after all that

£90 for top grade oil change at Advanced Motorsport

£160 for all the oil we used the day the pipe came off

£90 for adapters and new oil pipe

£70 for the new mocal cooler

£70 fitting cooler edge and then removing it again as the cooler was faulty

So that £480 + petrol + a shed load of wasted time not to have anyting done!

Plus the fact of having the cooler fitted just over a year ago must have been avout £350ish

So thats my oil cooler disaster story! I will hopefully be getting a full refund from mocal so thats £70 and then but these really nice oil lines with sandwich wedge on the bay so at least £60.

But what a waste of money especialy with hard times...

On a plus side i was happy that pipe didnt come off while driving my car or it would have ruined the engine..

Thanks for reading if you got through it lol

Edited by a98pmalcolm
Typos corrected (see edit history)

Unbelievable luck.

FWIW you don't need an oil cooler on the car unless you are going to be tracking it.

If you really want one I would spend £180 on driftworks and just get their kit. All fittings, everything all tested etc. Bish bash bosh, job done :)

You call that a disaster. I recently uncovered the car and took the cover indoors leaving the side door open to the house. When I got back to the car with my tyre pressure monitor in hand I saw what looked like a puddle of oil or brake fluid sitting in the inside of the wheel, on close inspection it was sprayed all over the wheel and I wondered if one of my brake pipes had pin holed while the car had been stood still over the winter.

I put my fingers in the fluid and smelled it...................................................dog piss..!!

The little bastard had slashed all over my chrome alloys while I nipped back into the house to put the cover away..!!

H.

Yer as i said.. Im just glad it didnt go while i was driving, especially as i was dowing 170 the nite before.. On a track of coarse...

If if it went then not a chance the engine would have servived..

Your rite scott in saying i dont really need one hense why im not bothering with one now..