The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Light weight flywheels Q's

Neil-NA

What is considerd a decent weight to go for with light weight flywheels? i had a search but didnt really find much.

I have seen various weights in both cromo and alloy but i dont want to get one that is going to be an absoloute pig to drive with. I was looking at one on the Whifbitz site that is apparently 3.9kgs (8.6lbs) but i get the feeling this might be too light.

Car is an NA only used on the street and pod a couple of times a year.

Thanks.

There's that much inertia in the rest of the engine that unless you go for a bespoke set up with a tiny multi plate clutch and button flywheel, with associated hassle with a suitable starter and ring gear, anything commercially available should be fine. You may have to use a bit more in the way of revs, but you shouldn't see a huge difference in drivability. I'd be considering the CLUTCH as much or more than flywheel weight, many multi plate ones do not like slippage in road usage.

sure littlenum told me his made b*gger all difference thats why i didnt buy one

Thats the worry with buying one, its quite a bit of cash for something that you might not even notice, saying that its more weight of the car lol.

I am not saying reducing engine and drive train inertia isn't a GOOD or worthwhile thing, far from it, but that people should assess whether a lower inertia flywheel is suited to their usage. Rest assured, if it made bugger all difference Toyota wouldn't hang a huge chunk of expensive steel off the end of the crank, if a 1/4 of the weight of material would suffice. You may find slow speed progress in a high gear jerky, and smooth take offs require more revs and clutch slippage. I am putting an expansive button clutch on an F3 engine at the moment, I'll try and grab a photo of a really lightweight, but still steel and titanium unit.

I am not saying reducing engine and drive train inertia isn't a GOOD or worthwhile thing, far from it, but that people should assess whether a lower inertia flywheel is suited to their usage. Rest assured, if it made bugger all difference Toyota wouldn't hang a huge chunk of expensive steel off the end of the crank, if a 1/4 of the weight of material would suffice. You may find slow speed progress in a high gear jerky, and smooth take offs require more revs and clutch slippage. I am putting an expansive button clutch on an F3 engine at the moment, I'll try and grab a photo of a really lightweight, but still steel and titanium unit.

That's what worries me, I have to use the car to commute but also like to drive like a tool once in a while, I'm not too botherd about going through clutches every now and then.